walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Come rain and shine on Ben Lomond

Come rain and shine on Ben Lomond

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 25/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 990m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had, in a bout of optimism, booked the Travelodge at Helensburgh for the English August bank holiday way back in December. As the time approached it looked increasingly like we would cop for some horrendous weather with a huge low pressure due to hit the North West of the British Isles for the weekend. In reality however the weather men (and women) were way off as the initial low passed without a whimper leaving us with two fine(ish) days to bag some Munros. :D

On Saturday we decided to join the rest of the world and climb Ben Lomond. The car park was busy (even though we were early) with singing children and minibusfulls of charity walkers all milling around before setting off up the pedestrian highway.

IMG_0630.jpg
Looking ahead to Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan

It was a beautiful morning, with a touch of freshness but barely any breeze and progress was steady as views opened up over Loch Lomond and the Arrochar Alps.
The ascent was uneventful although we felt over dressed and over prepared amongst the throngs of Jeans/tracksuit & trainers wearing walkers.

IMG_0631.jpg
Loch Lomond and the Arrochar Alps

IMG_0635.jpg
The Arrochar Alps

IMG_0637.jpg
Looking East

IMG_0638.jpg
The summit ridge from the path

IMG_0640.jpg
Grace and Hughie backed by Loch Lomond

IMG_0641.jpg
Towards the Trossacks

It turned out however that we weren’t over prepared :wink: as the weather did what it likes to do in Scotland and change without much warning. Rain had started to encroach from the Trossachs, at first it was just a gentle mizzle but by the time we reached the summit ridge the cloud had obscured the view and it was fairly chucking it down. :(

IMG_0642.jpg
Rain incoming...

IMG_0643.jpg
...but still bright on the West side of the loch

We ate our sandwiches in the rain, grimly hoping for a break in the weather and as if by magic the cloud lifted and we were granted a slightly misty version of the view to the North. :D We headed down soon after with it still raining, this time getting to see some of the drama of the impressive summit ridge, hidden from us on the way up.

IMG_0644.jpg
A very wet summit

IMG_0645.jpg
Grace, Tad and Hughie at the top

IMG_0646.jpg
Misty summit view

IMG_0647.jpg
Summit ridge through a rain splattered lens

We’d have probably descended by the ptarmigan ridge if the weather had held but it was the easy trudge down a less populated tourist route for us. It certainly looked as if every body who started the climb didn’t finish it, probably learning jeans are inappropriate for hill walking in the process. :lol:

In the end Ben Lomond unfortunately felt a bit like a tick on a list, perhaps we are getting a bit snobby. :oops: If we do climb this hill again it will definitely be via the ptarmigan ridge in-order to avoid the crowds and provide a bit more interest.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Come rain and shine on Ben Lomond

Postby Chrisabelle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 pm

The wonderful scottish weather, never boring! And my favourite mountain, not just to go up but I could watch it and its changing faces all day. Don't you just love the views over the loch?
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Nice report and pictures! Glad you still had some views. I like Ben Lomond, I will never forget the excitement of my first munro. And like you I will definitely go back and climb it via the Ptarmigan Ridge. :D
Paula Hubens

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Chrisabelle wrote:The wonderful scottish weather, never boring! And my favourite mountain, not just to go up but I could watch it and its changing faces all day. Don't you just love the views over the loch?

The views were well worth getting a bit wet for.

Paula Hubens wrote:Nice report and pictures! Glad you still had some views. I like Ben Lomond, I will never forget the excitement of my first munro. And like you I will definitely go back and climb it via the Ptarmigan Ridge. :D

Thanks Paula.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Bod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Some fine conditions there all in all, always great to get out there :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 am

It's time Gracie got a special mention for smiling through the clag/rain/misery of several hikes now.....it's easy to smile when the sun's shining,and of course the near death experience on the descent of Beinn Narnain :lol:
Another cracker JK, keep em coming :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Bod wrote:Some fine conditions there all in all, always great to get out there :D :D :clap:

A bit of cloud and rain always adds a bit of drama :D

ChrisW wrote:It's time Gracie got a special mention for smiling through the clag/rain/misery of several hikes now.....it's easy to smile when the sun's shining,and of course the near death experience on the descent of Beinn Narnain :lol:
Another cracker JK, keep em coming :thumbup:

I'll let you into a secret, that was the first time Grace smiled on Ben Lomond :shock: she's not a fan of "trudges" and certainly let us know :roll: . It was quite funny when another walker heard her having a whinge and shouted out to his mate further up the path "We've got a moaner on the mountain!" :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Great report John and, as ever, lovely photos despite the weather conditions! :thumbup:
You've certainly been out and about all over the place these past few months :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great report John and, as ever, lovely photos despite the weather conditions! :thumbup:
You've certainly been out and about all over the place these past few months :lol:

Aye its been fantastic :D Still aiming for 85 wainwrights and at least two more Munros before the year is out.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland