walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Greigh , Meall Garbh & failed attempt at An Stuc

Meall Greigh , Meall Garbh & failed attempt at An Stuc

Postby McGuinness » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 30/08/2012

Ascent: 1230m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing Schiehallion last week a decided to aim for a couple more so i tried to do the circuit around the lawers the day started fine and left the ben lawers hotel at 08:30 after arriving at the nature reserve i decided to asses my options and decided to go over Sron Mhor to get to Meall Greigh took a few photos along the way

then after a well deserved break i decided to do the long slog to Meall Garbh the route wasnt the easiest very boggy and wet but once at the top it was worth it :)

after sitting at the top for 10 minutes staring at An Stuc i decided to give my first attempt at scrambling a go but after getting about half way up the ground started giving way and the final straw was when a rock i was holding onto gave way and i was left hanging with one hand so i decided to play it safe and go back the route i came
McGuinness

Munros:8   Corbetts:1

Re: Meall Greigh , Meall Garbh & failed attempt at An Stuc

Postby McGuinness » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:31 am

also on the descent i ran into a woman who worked for the trust who was up studying the rare alpine plants so a big thank you to her for giving me a lift in her jeep back to the lawers hotel and finished my walk at 18:15 :)
McGuinness

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Aye, it can be tough making the decision not to go on but much better doing that than going on and getting stuck - as many say, the hill will still be here when you return 8) You tend to find sometimes that you try one way, then have to go back down and find another way until you're successful. Well done anyway and good luck when you return - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Hay McGuinness. Unlucky. You done ok bagging two munros. Looks like the weather was quite good as well even though the ground was wet and boggy. You can do An Stuc next time with the other two. :D
monty

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

crikey ..hanging with 1 hand ..i'd have turned back too!
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby McGuinness » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Cheers folks already done bein ghlas and Ben lawers a few weeks back so will just try An Stuc from the the lawers side
McGuinness

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm

McGuinness wrote:Cheers folks already done bein ghlas and Ben lawers a few weeks back so will just try An Stuc from the the lawers side

There is a faint trace of a path which connects the lower section of the path across the north side of Beinn Ghlas to the An Stuc/Lawers col (Bealach Dubh) which you might find useful! Alternatively, you can reach the Bealach Dubh from the Lochan nan Cat side without much difficulty. A final option (and maybe the finest way of doing An Stuc only) is to start from Camusvrachan in Glen Lyon, follow the track up the Allt a' Chobhair and climb the very pleasant (though pathless) NW ridge of An Stuc.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Two Munros is a great effort...the hills will be there another day, better to stay safe as they say. :) Good decision and well done McGuiness! :clap:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Well done, good effort. Once you catch the Munro bug good and proper you'll continue at all costs to get to the summit :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland