walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hooly round H-Ulaidh

Hooly round H-Ulaidh

Postby basscadet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 01/09/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.19 km

Ascent: 1270m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

H-ulaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This weekend, I was over visiting a friend over in Ballachuilish, an ideal base for some bagging :)
I had been hoping for a chance for a scramble on the Buachaille, but with much strong winds and wetness forecast, I turned my attentions elsewhere.. I was thinking about a trip in September up Glen Etive, so I reckoned a reccy of the area was a good idea. :D

So I parked up at Invercharnan, after a fun raz down the single track road. It was drizzling, but no signs of that wind.. I set off after 9, already in full waterproofs, which is never a good start really :(
The route took me up a boggy disused forest track.. Even 200 yards in I was struggling for motovation, but after making the effort to get up and get there, I forced myself onward. Maybe it was because i hadn't planned or even thought about my route, but it took me ages to get my stott.. :rolleyes:

Pretty soon, I was out of the trees, and could see the clag properly :thumbup:

The track once out of the forest, is even boggier.. I think if i was to do this walk again I would go down and see what it was like walking alongside the river.. After a way, the track crossed the river below a bonny set of falls.. Was a tricky crossing, but I still had dry feet :)

Onward, upward along the spongy wet track, it crossed the river again further up, but I didn't and I took to the squelchy meadow.

Pretty soon, I was round the crags, and could start my ascent proper. Still no motivation so i stopped after about 50 feet for a snack :lol: I couldnt really see the way ahead either.. looked rocky on my map, but the clag wasn't letting me see any way up.. Hmmm.. luckily the clag lifted, and I saw a wee herd of deer making their way up showing me the way.. Excellent!

Some nae bad claggy views were had as I ascended :)

I finally made it up to the coll between Sgor na h-Udlaidh and meall a Bhuiridh, the second i was over onto the ridge, the wind hit me like a harbinger of doom! Oh so thats where the wind they were talking about has been, I thought..
The coll was a slabby affair.. Slippery wet slabs of many a disaster as it turned out :lol:
I got my first glimpses of the way ahead.. Oh steep and craggy then..

There is a kind of path in places, and the climb wouldnt of been so bad on a nice day but with no motivation and the wind gusting at me so hard, that i had to drop to all fours regularly and hang onto boulders, it was a challenge to say the least.. I almost turned back at about 800m, but knew I would regret it if I did, so carried on, trying to 'think heavy' :lol: At least the rain had finally gone off..

So I reached the summit eventually, and hunkered down behind some rocks that made a pretty good shelter.. A bit too good, as I fell asleep for a while :D I awoke very cold, so without delay, I had to get my creaky bones moving again.. The rain was back as well, and not just drizzle, proper wet stuff that was propelled with force by the wind..

From the summit, there is a very well defined path that goes off towards Stob an fhuarain... I guess folk usually do this hill a different way. I followed it anyway, knowing it was the wrong way, but not really caring.. I had thought of doing beinn Fhionnlaidh as well, but nae chance today, so i had all afternoon to get back. I thought that if I contoured round from that bealach, behind the ridge of the gusty winds, then things would be easier.. Not the case though.. Ooooh the crags! Not recommended, look where I came down :o

I made it back anyways, and carried on accross the bealach to return by the Allt nan gaorean.. It was an easy if not boggy descent, in brightening weather conditions. Beinn Fhionnlaidh, looked quite formidable from this angle..

I carried on down the glen, passing bonny waterfalls

And boulders with bonny hairdoos

Until I realised the path through the forest, was on the other side of the river.. Hmmm, maybe I should look at a map once in a blue moon :D

I squelched my way through the bog to get to it, and followed the track back to the car through the forest. Much logging is going on, with wood stacked up as far as the eye could see...

Managed back to the car well before 3, not exactly a good day.. Couldn't be bothered and the wind and rain were pretty fierce. Still better out and about the hills than biding in I think though :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Hooly round H-Ulaidh

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 am

Well that's 2 reports both claggy :roll: I reckon the weather gods owe you one now B, good to see I'm not the only one who likes to 'rest their eyes' at the top :wink: I'll bet that descent route was a bit dicey in the wet :shock: well done on sticking with it....I damn sure I wouldn't have :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby laconic surf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 am

Another cracker there BC. Like Chris says think its time you had a break with the weather (could do with one myself mind :lol: )
Looks like a nice day out even if the motivation isn't quite there, but better out than in, nice one 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby basscadet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:14 am

The weather gods don't like me much, I'm nae holding out much hope :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 am

basscadet wrote:Pretty soon, I was out of the trees, and could see the clag properly

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That river crossing does look like it would give pause for thought! :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 am

Remind me never to go walking wherever you are :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby mrssanta » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:58 pm

i think you all are doing BC an injustice! including yourself BC, you are not unlucky with the weather you are just out there every weekend being proper hardcore rather than sitting at home waiting for the rain to stop!
I'd come with you any day just I think I'd have trouble keeping up
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 pm

I do seem to have a knack of chgoosing the wrong places though.. At home it was scorchio! :D
And you dont think you could keep up with an overweight smoker? Oh I think you could... :wink:
Come out with me any day, but you have to choose the location :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

well done on getting out at all the weekend with the weather that was forcast, did i not read you saying you only check mwis for their forcast for wind at 900 metres ? if so you would have been aware that 80mph winds were forcast ?
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Ach tha sin an siar ruid eile :lol: ... thats the West altogether ......aite bhoidheach Gleann Eite nuair a bha i tioram .... bonnie place Glen Etive when its dry :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm

mgmt! wrote:well done on getting out at all the weekend with the weather that was forcast, did i not read you saying you only check mwis for their forcast for wind at 900 metres ? if so you would have been aware that 80mph winds were forcast ?

75mph gusts were forecast actually! And i also posted in that thread that MWIS always exaggerate.. They didn't this weekend as it turns out... :lol:
I have only got blown off a mountain the once in the fannaichs.. On the cairngorm plateau that weekend winds of 170mph were recorded, so i know how windy is too windy ;)

Collaciotach wrote:Ach tha sin an siar ruid eile :lol: ... thats the West altogether ......aite bhoidheach Gleann Eite nuair a bha i tioram .... bonnie place Glen Etive when its dry :lol: :lol:

Ah my favourite laird of colansay :lol: Still got plenty of fine hills to do round that neck of the woods, so hopefully one day I may see a bit of sunshine for em :thumbup: I certainly enjoyed the drive down the glen.. the road is fun at 50.. Got stuck behind a porche on the way back though.. how on earth do you get held up by a porche? :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 pm

basscadet wrote:I set off after 9, already in full waterproofs, which is never a good start really

You can just no bother waking me if it's like that next week :lol: .

I like how you even post your blurry photos :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Ach they still tell the story ;)

Your good weather faerie will see us through next weekend I'm sure :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 am

Aye you certainly like your clag. Rather than choose a walk you should maybe try choosing an area where the forecast looks good and maybe the sun god will shine for you :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby monty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 am

Great report BC. I have to say you are nuts though. In a nice way :lol: :lol: Me being a fair weather fairy I was not going out in the forecast winds so mist an opportunity to bag some more hills. This weekend should be better. 8) :D
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland