walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Farragon Hill from north

Farragon Hill from north

Postby Tinto63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill

Date walked: 31/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As my companion for the day had already walked Farragon Hilll from Edradynate we agreed to take the route from Loch Tummel suggested in the Corbett book. We had a little difficulty finding the starting point as the building shown as Netherton on the Randranger sheet does not appear to exist and the track leading up through the woodland is quite well disguised. There is also a lack of parking places in the area although we managed to pull off the road about 300m to the west at NN 867593.

The route is straightforward and on a good track as far as NN 849560 where a small cairn at the side of the track marks the start of a faint and non continuous path that leads SW and W above Lochan a` Chait. From here Farragon appears quite a complex hill with numerous crags, although the mist (and rain) that had descended by this time could have enhanced this impression. We eventually made it to the top in poor visibility and steady rain.

We returned by the same route.

Highlights if the day were spotting an eagle above Duntanlich Lochan on the way up (already noted on the wildlife page) and exploring the quarry workings below Beinn Eagagach which appear to be associated with the mine on nearby Meall Tairneachan.

P1040674.JPG
where the track leaves the road

P1040662.JPG
quarry/ mine workings on Beinn Eagagach

P1040663.JPG
NN849560 where the path leaves the track

P1040669.JPG
Lochan a` Chait

P1040668.JPG
Farragon Hill cairn
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Farragon Hill from north

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for sharing. Thats my biggest problem with walking .. finding the starting points of some of the walks :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Farragon Hill from north

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:42 am

mountain thyme wrote:Thanks for sharing. Thats my biggest problem with walking .. finding the starting points of some of the walks :)
Yoy should not be admitting you're your weaknesses, people like me will play on them :wink: You'll be ok for this one as you'll probably do it along with Meall Tairneachan and a tracks goes almost to the summit, see my report to assist you :lol: Interesting doing this one from the north Tinto and the quarry pond looks good enough for a dook :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland