walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn A' Ghlo

Beinn A' Ghlo

Postby thand » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 05/09/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 1440m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Woohoo finally a sunny day coinciding with day off work. I've been looking at Beinn A' Ghlo for a while and it just seemed too good an opportunity.

Off down the road and I was at Loch Moraigh for quarter to nine. Quick chat with two guys who'd driven up from Glasgow before they set off ahead of me and then the off.

The path starts off on a solid landrover track before getting a little boggy by the hut (its probably like the sahara any other summer) and then onto the the main path up Carn Liath. A steeper climb than I expected but its gets you to the top quickly enough.
P1010340.JPG
Carn Liath

And wow when you reach the summit the whole mountain just opens up. I think it just pips Sgoar Gaoth for sudden unexpected views. The photos you see in the books just don't do it justice. :clap:
P1010344.JPG
CBBC & CnG

P1010347.JPG
Ridgy goodness

The wind was howling (dam you mwis "neglible effect") so i wolfed down a sandwich and made a bee line for the snaking ridge. I could see the two guys from the car park going great guns ahead of me and my overly competitve nature meant I wasn't going to lose sight of them.

Soon the descent was over and we were steep again, man these munros don't quit. :crazy:
P1010354.JPG
Back to Carn Liath

I continued to the second summit (I'll call it BCCB more short) and wow the clouds were still above the summit. I think this was the first time I took my eyes off the mountain and started to look at the views. I could see the sea to East, the Cairngorms to the north and Schaehallion and Chonzie to the south, not bad for a clag addict like myself. 8)
P1010359.JPG

I dropped down to the beleach out fo the wind and chowed down on some more sandwhiches (sometimes i think walking is just an excuse to eat a stupid amount of food) then back up to summit of Carn nan Gabher. It was pretty sneaky of them putting three structures on top and of course the summit is the last one...

Based on the ground between the two I decided to stay high and descended over Airgiodd Bheinn.
P1010364.JPG

Down by the stream I caught up with the two guys from the carpark who I joined for the walk out. Social thing this walking lark...

Anyway great day, great mountain. say no more.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Beinn A' Ghlo

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 pm

nice one thand - you sum it up well....boggy at the start, a steep climb and then you see the switchback of the ridge set out in front of you - well done and would agree it's nice to meet with other people especially given such a long walk out - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 am

I got a mixed day when i did this, a milestone walk for me as it took me to 100, but as you say a superb walk. One i look forward to repeating :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Nice pictures of this group :D Was a bit claggy at times when I was on these three. Met three chaps on this walk who had carried their mountain bikes to the summit, just so they could cycle down :shock: I'm sure it made sense to them :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland