walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Friends, Roamers, Countrymen!.....

Friends, Roamers, Countrymen!.....

by pollyh33 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 07/09/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1221m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Friends, Roamers, Countrymen!.....

Postby dogplodder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Fabulous report and so glad you got a suitably glorious day to do it justice! :clap:

But seeing the huge steps RR is doing on those scrambly bits tells me those manouvres are beyond my creaky hips' stretching abilities which aren't what they once were... :wink: That along with the scree-surfing makes me think Liathach is perhaps a hill too far... :?

Have a brilliant time in Skye and all the best with your Ph.D - or whatever it is you're doing! I'm sure you'll still manage to sneak in the odd hill or two. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby pigeon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Aw man,that looks ace.Going to try and get up there soon and am gone over the pinnacles tae!If you say it's not as scary as the AE then that's good enough for me :lol: Well done both ,smashin' pics and report :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Excellent polly really glad you got this done, I cant wait to get up there and get Gammy over they pinnacles :lol:
Fab report and pics big well dones to both of you :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Love this report, but I'm so jealous - was up there the following day in mist and gales (well felt like that to me). :shock: Great photos, so thanks for showing me what I mist :wink: I take your enthusiasm as encouragement to get back out there on a decent day, thanks :) :D
Enjoy the Cullins!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Aarthorn wrote:I'm so jealous of you, hopefully next year i'll be fit enough and small enough(chuckle) to enjoy it.

Hi Aathorn,
I was the same as you when I read other reports on this hill- jammy gits I thought :lol:

I'll look out for you post in the not too distant future I hope :D

dogplodder wrote:Fabulous report and so glad you got a suitably glorious day to do it justice! :clap:

But seeing the huge steps RR is doing on those scrambly bits tells me those manouvres are beyond my creaky hips' stretching abilities which aren't what they once were... :wink: That along with the scree-surfing makes me think Liathach is perhaps a hill too far... :?

Have a brilliant time in Skye and all the best with your Ph.D - or whatever it is you're doing! I'm sure you'll still manage to sneak in the odd hill or two. :D

Hi Kathleen.

Yeah you have to laugh at Ron who tells me just to copy him and it will be fine. Not in a million years could I contort and stretch my body the way he does :lol: God love him though, he has the patience of a saint and will wait for me at every twist and turn. There was only one move I refused to do quite near the beginning, I just improvised and did a belly shuffle along a ledge - made a change from using my bum :lol:

Don't let the scree put you off, it doesn't last for too long and I'm sure you've tackled much worse on the hills. :shock: :shock:

Glad you enjoyed the report,

PXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:20 pm

pigeon wrote:Aw man,that looks ace.Going to try and get up there soon and am gone over the pinnacles tae!If you say it's not as scary as the AE then that's good enough for me :lol: Well done both ,smashin' pics and report :thumbup:

Thanks Pigeon you and the troops would love this :lol: :lol:

Nice grippy Torridon sandstone and no bad steps to deal with :clap:

Don't think it would be much fun for Jake though, you'd need to leave him guarding the soup pot :lol:

Alan S wrote:Excellent polly really glad you got this done, I cant wait to get up there and get Gammy over they pinnacles :lol:
Fab report and pics big well dones to both of you :D

Sorry it took me so long writing this report- hope you didn't lose too much beauty sleep :lol:

I was thinking about you going over these pinnacles, you'd totally breeze it and I think Willie would love it too :D

Get up there boys!!!! :lol:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Love this report, but I'm so jealous - was up there the following day in mist and gales (well felt like that to me). :shock: Great photos, so thanks for showing me what I mist :wink: I take your enthusiasm as encouragement to get back out there on a decent day, thanks :) :D
Enjoy the Cullins!

Thanks HnP, so glad you enjoyed it but sorry you weren't there on the same day as us :(

We met a couple of guys up there who had attempted it on Thursday and they only managed to get to 750m before turning back totally drookit and cold :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Hope the sun shines for you on your next outing 8) 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 pm

You know i would never ever put you in any kind of danger on the hills :)
You know to trust me. You have confidence in me. Also your own is growing. Just as well for skye next weekend. What you did on liatach will be tame. For what I have in store for you doing the cullins
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:40 pm

rocket-ron wrote:You know i would never ever put you in any kind of danger on the hills :)
You know to trust me. You have confidence in me. Also your own is growing. Just as well for skye next weekend. What you did on liatach will be tame. For what I have in store for you doing the cullins

Just remember I'm your old mum- be nice!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby laconic surf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

Great to see you back out there Polly despite your flirtation with semi-retirement :lol: Ron's turning into a bit of a mountain Guru out there - hope you both have a great time on the Cullin 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:05 pm

What a fabbie fantatsic report, Polly, such a great day you and Ron had :thumbup:
Those photos look just as brilliant as they did on FB :lol: :lol:
And you've still not eaten the banoffee pie :shock: :lol:

Looking forward to the Skye report and photos :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

laconic surf wrote:Great to see you back out there Polly despite your flirtation with semi-retirement :lol: Ron's turning into a bit of a mountain Guru out there - hope you both have a great time on the Cullin 8)

Thanks LS. Yes couldn't have done it without him - just waiting for his bill to arrive :crazy: :crazy:
SusieThePensioner wrote:What a fabbie fantatsic report, Polly, such a great day you and Ron had :thumbup:
Those photos look just as brilliant as they did on FB :lol: :lol:
And you've still not eaten the banoffee pie :shock: :lol:

Looking forward to the Skye report and photos :D

Oh come on Susie, how long do you think that pie lasted after I took the photo??? Nanoseconds!! :lol:

Here's the other thing, when we got back to the car, I was looking in Ron's glovebox for my keys and there was a huge bar of chocolate (untouched!!!) that I was supposed to get months ago that he had forgotten about!!! How can you forget about chocolate???? :roll: :roll:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Bill no bill happy to have company and a laugh on the hills

That HUGE bar off choclate. You forgot to take it. Been in car since lochnagar. :lol:
I did forget it was there.. You will get it this weekend coming on skye
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby quoman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm

fantastic report polly excellent picture's looks like i will be going over the pinnacles when i get up there.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Great Stuff Polly, I can't wait to see your reports from Skye, I'm sure you will absolutely love it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Bill no bill happy to have company and a laugh on the hills

That HUGE bar off choclate. You forgot to take it. Been in car since lochnagar. :lol:
I did forget it was there.. You will get it this weekend coming on skye

I should have taken it with me for the drive down the road. Just as well I stopped in Pitlochry for my chips and red sauce :thumbup: :thumbup:

quoman wrote:fantastic report polly excellent picture's looks like i will be going over the pinnacles when i get up there.

Thanks Quoman, Oh yeah give the pinnacles a go- definitely worth it for the buzz :D :D

mrssanta wrote:Great Stuff Polly, I can't wait to see your reports from Skye, I'm sure you will absolutely love it.

Thanks Kate, I'll be re-reading your excellent report before I head off- I can't wait!!!! :crazy: :crazy:
pollyh33
Walker

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland