walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ardessie Falls and Sail Mhor

Ardessie Falls and Sail Mhor

Postby John Burgess » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Route description: Sail Mhòr, from Ardessie

Corbetts included on this walk: Sail Mhòr

Date walked: 28/10/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A week in a chalet at Mellon Udrigle in late October could be considered a bold or foolish choice. The fact that the electricity was included in the price convinced me and, as it turned out, Ceol na Mara proved to be a cosy base for exploring a favourite region.

The Chalet.JPG

Each morning a heron came to find breakfast in a sea pool nearby.

The Heron.JPG

The weather wasn't great but, occasionally, we had that wonderful view up from Ben Mor Coigach to Foinaven and, inland, to An Teallach with its outlier Sail Mhor.

Ben Mor Coigach and beyond.jpg

Sail Mhor from Mellon Udrigle.JPG

A day of rain on Tuesday gave way to a slightly better looking morning so we headed for Ardessie on Little Loch Broom. One look at the volume of water flowing under the bridge convinced us to ignore the track up the East side of the Allt Airdeasaidh and find a way up the West side. We parked at the water treatment plant just west of the bridge and made our way up and across to rejoin the burn.
Choosing the trackless west side proved one of our better ideas. Not only did we avoid an unpleasant crossing further up - we got the best of the views of the rather impressive waterfalls in the gorge of the burn :D

Ardessie Falls 1.JPG

Ardessie Falls 2.JPG

Top of the Gorge.JPG

From the top of the gorge we chose a gradual ascending traverse to the col between Ruigh Mheallain and Sail Mhor. I find it easiest to do this by picking a point about 100 yards ahead and a bit above me, walking to it, then repeating the process. Here's the best view we had whilst doing this!

Sunbeam.JPG

From the col the ridge up to Sail Mhor was pleasant and would give some fine views on a better day :(

View from the ridge.JPG

The Beinn Deargs.JPG

From the summit the view out to the Summer Isles is reputed to be lovely. I'll believe that - at least we saw some of it :)

Little Loch Broom.JPG

We found a way off which I'd spotted on the way up and descended the East side of the hill . Only recommended in clear weather to those confident in finding their own way on steepish ground!

Near the end of the walk I suddenly realised I'd better get a photo of the hill - so here it is :lol:

Sail Mhor.JPG

The falls are well worth a visit even if you don't intend climbing the hill. On the west side there are some good places to look into the gorge without having to risk life and limb. Just like this :D

Ardessie falls 3.JPG
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ardessie Falls and Sail Mhor

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Lovely pics of the autumnal gorge 8)

The E side track does have some viewpoints too:

Fancy going back and linking Sail Mhor with An Teallach via Sgurr Ruadh sometime :)
kinley

Re: Ardessie Falls and Sail Mhor

Postby John Burgess » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

kinley wrote:Fancy going back and linking Sail Mhor with An Teallach via Sgurr Ruadh sometime :)

I'd not thought of that but definitely came away fancying Sgurr Ruadh and a round of Coire Mor an Teallaich.
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland