walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Sunday Stroll

A Sunday Stroll

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Imirean, from Auchessan

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 09/09/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 849m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A Sunday Stroll

My sister Marie had been threatening to walk with me ever since I started hillwalking and today was the day that she finally agreed to come.
I told her I would pick her up at 730 am (which i thought was late) to which her reply was WWWHHHAAATTTT.
I decided on a hill not too far away and one which wouldn’t be too strenuous for her first proper hill. We had previously climbed 1/2 of Ben Lomond :wink:

Parked on the grass verge on the A85 opposite the sign for Auchessan Farm, which I must admit I didn’t see until after the walk. Its at the opposite side of the road. Marie asked if it was time for the ‘pieces’ as we got out the car …after the long drive from Dumbarton to Crianlarich :lol:

We left the car and headed down the path and over the bridge towards Auchessan Farm.

At the signposts we took the left sign and headed through the gate and around the Old Farmhouse building and onto a well trodden path.

Once at the bridge, we didn’t cross it but decided to keep to the east of the stream. A good path leads all the way up the east of the stream.

Before the stream turns west we left the path and headed north west towards Meall Garbh which was extremely boggy to say the least. We lost the path on numerous occasions whilst heading towards Meall Garbh.

When Marie asked where we were heading, I pointed out Beinn nan Imirean to which her reply was ‘that’s fn miles away’. I had to remind her that shes a teacher and shouldn’t be using that language :lol:

Once at Meall Garbh the wind started to pick up. We passed a couple of tiny lochans and and headed north west up the ridge towards Beinn nan Imirean.

Although a good day navigation wise, there were no views of the surrounding munro summits.
''Do we have to walk back down was the question as we reached the summit!!?'' No theres a lift back down :)

We stopped at the summit for a few pics and headed back down the same way we came up.
Back to the car in 5 hours
beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 001.jpg
Hidden from the roadside. Just as you head down the path

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 002.jpg
over the River Dochart

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 028.jpg
wooden signpost...left here )

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 004.jpg
the bridge we didnt cross

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 027.jpg

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 005.jpg
Ben More

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 025.jpg
better heading up this path rather than too close to the stream which we had done

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 006.jpg
Breather... Do you have toilet paper.T ?..No...Do you have hand gel T.?. no

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 008.jpg
The corbett in site... ''its fn miles away''

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 009.jpg
tiny lochans

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 010.jpg
Did i tell you i was scared of heights T ?

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 012.jpg
Lochan just before the final climb to Beinn nan Imirean

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 013.jpg
Yeeha

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 014.jpg
haha

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 017.jpg
summit pic

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 022.jpg
dont ask

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 019.jpg
towards Meall Glas

beinn nan imirean 9.9.12 026.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: A Sunday Stroll

Postby mgmt! » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm

well done marie, doing a corbett your first hill is good going, mt you should have introduced marie to an easier walk, like the whangie or dumgoyne :wink: , the distance you both got up ben lomond is getting shorter every time you tell it :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 am

Nice one MT. That was good of your sister to take on the role of mountain guide for the day :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 am

Great report MT and some nice pics too but.....well....I know it says don't ask but What the hell :wtf: I need to know :lol:

I think your sister was right too....it was fn miles away :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I wont ask...but what was that photo all about :shock: !

Well done to your sis.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm

mgmt! wrote:well done marie, doing a corbett your first hill is good going, mt you should have introduced marie to an easier walk, like the whangie or dumgoyne :wink: , the distance you both got up ben lomond is getting shorter every time you tell it :lol:

i had faith in Marie mgmt!....... you should try trusting people ..when they tell you they will be hill fit :wink:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one MT. That was good of your sister to take on the role of mountain guide for the day :lol:

its a hard job but someones got to do it JC

ChrisW wrote:Great report MT and some nice pics too but.....well....I know it says don't ask but What the hell :wtf: I need to know :lol:

I think your sister was right too....it was fn miles away :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chris....It wasnt miles away.. its quite an easy and short wee walk..pretty easy going :)

Chris and Dooterbang...... i was telling Marie the daft things folk do when they get to the summit.... so we tried to jump up.. but it was helluva windy , we couldnt stop laughing and our timing with the camera was way out :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Lol that reminds me about a walk I did with my best friend... :lol: :lol: she managed half a corbett...
7:30 is early!!!! :lol: :lol:
But it looks like a fun day out!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland