walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up the Herdsman the wrong way at 4 years old

Up the Herdsman the wrong way at 4 years old

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 08/09/2012

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Where do you take a bunch of kids aged 7, 6, 5 and 4 on their first proper hill walk? :wink:

Two of my grandsons and two of their pals had already had a taster up a wee hill at Abriachan and were now asking to climb something bigger - a proper mountain! I wanted somewhere not too far away that had a good path and gave good views from the top. The Corbett Meall a' Bhuachaille ticked all these boxes and had the added bonus of magical Lochan an Uaine on the way up. So when MWIS predicted 80% cloud free tops for the Cairngorms on Saturday we decided to go for it. :thumbup:

Meall a' Bhuachaille is highest point on ridge opposite as seen from Cairngorm car park
DSC02159-large.jpg

I'd walked the ridge in 2004 starting from the west end and I'd climbed Meall a' Bhuachaille in 2009 going up via Ryvoan so felt confident about the route. 8)

Meall a' Bhuachaille summit in 2009
Hillwalks 2009 111-large.jpg

I printed out the Walkhighlands map and route in duplicate, gave a copy to one of the parents and kept a copy myself. We parked at the Visitor centre which costs £2 a car but felt it was worth it for the children to have access to civilised toilets at the start. The idea of civilised toilets proved to be less of a draw to the children who unanimously "didn't need" and it was left to a parent to prudently avail themselves of this privilege. :angel:

We reckoned that the 4 and 5 year olds might not manage the full walk so the plan was to walk up via Lochan an Uaine and stop for food at Ryvoan bothy where there would be a choice of going on to climb the hill or returning to Loch Morlich to play on the beach. That was the plan. :roll:

Leaving the car park at the Visitor centre the WH instruction is to skirt round to the left of the building and find a path heading steeply uphill with a blue and orange marker post. This we did. The path climbs up through pinewoods until it reaches a track where you are told to turn right. 8)

I tucked the map away, left compass at bottom of rucksack and chatted to the kids about the interesting things we were going to see on the way to the hill - the Green Lochan and Ryvoan bothy. I have absolutely no memory of coming to the track where we were to take a right turn, assumed we were on the right path and just kept walking up though the trees, for most of the time with the children slightly in the lead. :D

Little people leading the way to climb their first 'mountain'
DSC_0739-largec.jpg

Calum (5), Daniel (7), Finlay (4) and Katie (6)
DSC_0740-largec.jpg

Katie and Calum's parents - dad carrying daughter's rucksack - but that's what dads are for! :wink:
DSC_0741-large.jpg

Somewhere about this point I began to feel uneasy about the terrain. It didn't look right for approaching Lochan an Uaine by either of the two paths we could have taken to it. :think: And that was because we were heading firmly up the Allt Coire Chondlaich path. We were doing the walk the wrong way round. :silent: If it had just been the kids I might have got away with it but there was no disguising my mistake to their parents who must have wondered how someone who'd done the walk twice before could get it so wrong. :roll:

We decided the best thing was to keep going. All the kids were doing well and maybe this approach would mean we would all do the climb together as there wasn't the same obvious turn back point as at Ryvoan bothy.

Out of the woods on to open hillside
DSC_0742-large.jpg

View of Loch Morlich opening up
DSC_0743-large.jpg

DSC_0744-large.jpg

View from ridge of Cairngorm's northern corries and Braeriach
DSC_0747-large.jpg

We had a brief pit stop to refuel once we reached the ridge then followed the path to the summit. Thanks to the path maintenance folk there were no difficulties on the way and it wasn't long before we were tucking into more food in the large windshelter at the top. :D

Made it to the top of the Hill of the Herdsman at 810 metres :thumbup:
DSC_0748-large.jpg

No mean feat for 4 year old Finlay and 5 year old Calum :clap:
DSC_0749-largec.jpg

These two still had energy to play around the cairn while their parents sat inside!
DSC_0752-large.jpg

View west to Aviemore and continuation of ridge
DSC_0751-large.jpg

On such a beautiful Saturday a popular hill like this was busy and we passed many people on the way up. Some were finding it a stiff climb and expressed surprise to see small children trotting down the path having already been to the top! Coming down that path we were in no doubt the way we'd gone up was easier for the kids.... and we still had the bothy and Green Lochan as incentives to keep them going.

Lochan an Uaine down below
DSC_0755-large.jpg

Katie developed a blister but with the aid of a special hill walker's plaster (always carry a supply of them 8) ) she kept up a good pace and with the occasional distraction of holding one of the dogs' leads or a walking pole we made it to the bottom without mishap.

Looking down zig zag path to Ryvoan bothy
DSC_0760-large.jpg

I'd told the kids the Mountain Bothy Association like folk to check out bothies to make sure they are tidy. They handled this responsibility most conscientiously checking what was inside, noting the bag of tea bags sitting on the shelf and expressing concern about the number of empty bottles left standing in the corner.

Ryvoan bothy
DSC00998-largec.jpg

Then they nipped up to check the roof
DSC_0762-large.jpg

While dad sat with the dogs and applied sun screen :lol:
DSC_0764-large.jpg

Next motivational gambit was to find the Green Lochan or (since Katie and Calum are at Gaelic school) we used its proper title Lochan an Uaine.

Heading down the path to find Lochan an Uaine
DSC_0768-large.jpg

The lochan was a big hit with the children and the dogs. :D

Tess wanting a stick thrown in for her to retrieve
DSC_0769-large.jpg

But not quite as far as my cricketer son threw that one! :shifty:
DSC_0770-large.jpg

It was such an idyllic spot we all agreed that if we'd come to the lochan first (as planned) it would have been difficult to persuade the younger children to go any further!

Calum sitting on beach at lochan. Is that a scattering of fairy dust around him?
photo.JPG

We had told the children about the vivid green colour which has given the lochan its name but from the east end this was not all that obvious. You have to walk to its west end to get the true effect of the colour.

Green lochan
Photo2-large.jpg

Legend has it the green colour is due to the dye running when the fairies wash their clothes. Either that or because they use mild green Fairy Liquid. :shh:

Looking to east end of lochan where beach is
DSC_0773-large.jpg

From the lochan there was still a fair way to go and we had the added complication of a bike race going on which meant keeping in to the side to let them pass. Holding Jack and Tess on their leads then became a useful distraction - along with the promise of ice cream when we got back to the Visitor centre.

Well earned ice cream! :clap:
DSC_0774-large.jpg

It was a fabulous day that worked out better than it might have done due to missing a turning. A good example of the way our best laid schemes are sometimes over-ruled to give us something better. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Up the Herdsman the wrong way at 4 years old

Postby mrssanta » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm

superb what a cracking day and a great adventure, hope you have many more with that crowd!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Very nice report :D And some great pictures too :D :D A lovely area this and you had a great day for it too :D Super effort by the young ones too :D Glad to see them smiling all the way through your pictures. And ice cream at the end :D Nice :thumbup:

Oh, and what's all this about the wrong way? Surely there's no right or wrong way up or down a hill. Clearly I must be doing something wrong :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 am

Cracking! :D :clap: kids in the great outdoors is the best way! Well done to all concerned! :clap:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 am

mrssanta wrote:superb what a cracking day and a great adventure, hope you have many more with that crowd!

Hope so too Mrs S.... and suspect when they're grown up I'll be wanting to get out there with my zimmer frame! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 pm

PeteR wrote:Oh, and what's all this about the wrong way? Surely there's no right or wrong way up or down a hill. Clearly I must be doing something wrong :lol:

I agree Pete, there's no right and wrong way. It's just that I intended to do it the WH way round (anticlockwise) but missed the turning and felt a proper numptie! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Kids up Corbetts and in bothies! Marvellous! :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Wonderful , wonderful, wonderful report Kathleen :clap: :clap:

Its brilliant to see the kids (of all ages!) having such a good time :D :D

As for the lochan, I was totally blown away by how beautiful it is. Definitely worth doing this walk just to sit on those shores :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Cracking report on a cracking day. Well done the youngsters. Sounds like a great adventure. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 pm

davedanson28 wrote:Cracking! :D :clap: kids in the great outdoors is the best way! Well done to all concerned! :clap:

Thanks Dave. It's great to see them enjoying it and just hope it sows seeds for the future. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Graeme D wrote:Kids up Corbetts and in bothies! Marvellous! :thumbup:

But don't think we're going to beat your Ailsa at 18 months! :clap:
dogplodder

Postby 147cjl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 pm

looks like you had a beautiful day - Lochan Uaine just begs to be swum in, always been too cold when I've been there :lol:
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:23 am

pollyh33 wrote:As for the lochan, I was totally blown away by how beautiful it is. Definitely worth doing this walk just to sit on those shores :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

We could easily have spent all day there and if we'd done the walk the way we thought we were doing it :roll: don't think we'd have got the kids to go any further!
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 am

Lovely, easy hill :D and the happy smiles speak for themselves! It warms my heart to see every report with the young ones enjoying the great outdoors. These days the media are trying to convince us that we're growing a generation of coach potatoes, sitting in front of TV and chewing chocolate all day :lol:
The Herdsman is one of my favourite "quickies", not to mention the Green Lochan - it looks like there's much less water in the loch since my last visit in January, but the colour is just as green.
We'll have two weeks of holidays since next Saturday so weather allows, we'll venture into the Cairngorms - can't wait :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 pm

What a great day out - and the kids have done so well and look so happy :D I take it Tess got lots of swimming practice :lol:

You seem to have an unerring ability to do walk reports on routes that I've been mulling over - and with great photos too, a big thank you for that :clap: :clap: I'm planning this one for later this year, if I don't give way to the temptation you've thrown in my path an go up this weekend :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland