walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain, and then the rain came

Beinn Narnain, and then the rain came

Postby Gargantuan Tribe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 13/09/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 926m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parking up at Succoth car park I was thrown slightly by the lack of any other vehicles (I have been on walks from here on several occasions and the car park has always been quite busy), maybe they had seen the weather forecast and thought better of it!
As it was a light drizzle was falling as I set off for Beinns Narnain and Ime, taking the straight up route preferred by the walk highlands directions rather than the zig-zag that eventually takes you to the wonderfully symbolic Narnain boulders. To call the route wet would be a slight understatement but I have always taken the view that once you're wet you're wet so you might as well carry on (my scales for degrees of wetness were about to change anyway) and so with the drizzle ceasing I made my way up the slope.
Once the higher reaches were attained there was a brief period of path losing before it was found again and at around 600m the clouds closed in and although the view was lost the visibility still remained good. I stopped to take some photos as the ominous rock formations of Creag an Fhithich up ahead looked particularly dramatic coming out of the cloud (these photos would be available to see but for events yet to be explained).
As I approached Cruach nam Miseag I took my first steps on to the southern side of the hill and was hit by the wind that I had as yet been completely sheltered from - I have experienced stronger and walking through it presented little difficulty but the speed of the cloud meant that visibility was reduced and it was time for the woolly hat! Just over from Cruach nam Miseag the hill opens out before the final climb through The Spearhead (more dramatic photos), which is very aptly named, the wind hit me again and it was time for the cowl!
By this point I was wet right through and remembering that exactly the same thing had happened to me walking The Cobbler two years ago - these hills just have it in for me! Climibing through The Spearhead was a wonderful experience that I would like to repeat but I could see the top opening out ahead of me and prepared myself for the wind! Unfortunately what I forgot to prepare for was the complete lack of visibility as the combination of thick cloud and high winds meant I just had to keep my eyes on the path until I saw the trig point appear in the gloom. Now here I made the mistake of attempting to photo this and my camera decided that it had got too wet and refused to do anything - this is still the case and the sd card is not giving away its images either!
I now attempted to follow the path down the western side of Beinn Narnain but got completely disorientated on the peak and lost the path - thankfully my compass and waterproof map sorted me out and down the (very clear once I was on it) path I went. Regretfully, although this way down is less difficult in regards to the slope it was made much more difficult by the strong wind driving the rain straight in to me. No more shelter was to be had and so when I finally came to the Bealach and the choice of going back up (exposed all the way) to Beinn Ime or returning via the boulders and hopefully finding some shelter I decided to call it quits and head back to the car, Beinn Ime and I will meet again!
Gargantuan Tribe
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Beinn Narnain, and then the rain came

Postby Chesney_B » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 pm

hope you get your photos back - your description makes me want to see them.
Chesney_B
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Donalds:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland