walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chrianlarich Hills 2012

Chrianlarich Hills 2012

Postby JonAksel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 20/05/2012

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 24.3 km

Ascent: 1890m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the route description:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On Saturday I drove into the valley of Loch Voil and Loch Doine and pitched a tent near Inverlochlarig. It's a really nice valley and I highly recommend to spare some of the Crianlarich hills to be climbed from this side. Then I could start early in the morning like 8 o'clock.

Early morning view from the tent opening, soon ready to go.

Signpost for walkers.

A lamb.

Backview to Loch Voll and Loch Doine.

I went first up to Beinn Tulaichean.

Then I dropped my bag at the saddle,...

...and went to the top of Cruach Ardrain without luggage. This is the view towards Crianlarich.

Cruach Ardrain's summit cairn.

Backview to Beinn Tulachean.

The next munro was a bit tricky with some crags in between.

Another lamb. So sweet...

I saw two deers on the way up to Beinn a' Chroin on the southern ridge. Very nice in silhouette.

And the sun was shining all the time, and I didn't know that I am getting sunburned. Many people were at the summit, among them some Glasgow boys. They told me which summit was the highest top, because that was not easy to say. I believed that time it was the eastern one, but I went to all to be sure.
Gathering at the east top of Beinn a'Chroin. Some confusion about which top is the real summit but I learned later that it's the Western top, or more like the middle one. At least according to the Harvey map.
Anyway it's nice on the east top. It's not easy to get acceptance to move a Munro summit to another top. It's more like changing the name of Big Ben I believe.
Ready to bag one more.

Then at the saddle I dropped the bag again and went to An Caisteal.

These are the multiple tops of Beinn a'Chroin seen from An Caisteal.

And this is An Caisteal as seen from the east, earlier the same day.

View towards NW from An Castail.

To Beinn Chabhair:
You were going to be my dessert this afternoon. But I am so hungry and you are so craggy. I admit I saw four others before you. I read about you in a book. You are so convenient they say, together with the other two. Do you mind me having my tea here, just relaxing my eyes on your face. I have a long way home you know. Will you invite me upstairs next time? I know where you stay now.

This is Beinn Chabhair. I made a trip there from the western side in june. You can read a separate trip report from that here on the forum.

Then I walked the mountain road back to Inverlochlarig.

Backview.

And that's all for now.
Last edited by JonAksel on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Chrianlarich Hills 2012

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 pm

that looks like a good way to do these hills
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland