walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh

Postby Kenny Monaghan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 am

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 15/09/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Alex and I headed off for Oban at 08.00, 2 hours later we arrived at the full layby at the foot of Ben Cruachan, so after a failed attempt to park in the visitor centre which I now know is no longer allowed, my fault for using old instructions. We parked about a mile down the road towards Loch Awe and walked back, everything was absolutely fine till we got to the Lochan on Ben Cruachan, then the clouds which had been there all the way up the hill decided to thicken instead of blowing away. We got on the top and could see about 10 yards ahead of us. We decided to keep going and hope that the cloud would clear by the time we got on to Stob Daihm, it wasn't to be, so we followed the path that headed straight off the top instead of going south, which meant we ended up on the wrong side of the hill, When we did get out of the clouds we had a nice view of the sides of Ben a' Chochuill on our left. So we headed for the road being built by Scottish Hydro (I think) which took us out onto the A85 at the Stromilichan junction which meant a 3 and half mile walk back to the van.

The signs were there telling us to leave and go back home, but we continued, we done the hills, but it'll go down as one of those days, cloud, rain, wind and no views, Ach it happens.
Attachments
DSCF4295.JPG
The signs were there
Kenny Monaghan
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland