walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

13 days in Cairngorms

13 days in Cairngorms

by killy9999 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Glas Tulaichean, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie, Ben Vuirich, Meall a' Bhuachaille, Morrone

Date walked: 02/07/2012

Distance: 169 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 13 days in Cairngorms

Postby basscadet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Oh I found this site that explains quite a bit about the planes...

http://www.edwardboyle.com/blog/?p=448
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby xslawekx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Niezły wypad. W Cairngorms najlepiej zimą - krajobrazy i atmosfera iście arktyczna.
Jam oryginalnie również z Miasta Włókniarzy :D
Pozdrawiam,
Sławek.
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby killy9999 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

basscadet wrote:Oh I found this site that explains quite a bit about the planes...

http://www.edwardboyle.com/blog/?p=448
Wow, quite unbelievable. We've seen wreckage if this plane when we descended from Braeriach towards Sròn na Lairige. Sadly, I only made one picture, but there was a lot more lying around:

img_1751.jpg

We didn't see the engines though.

MarylinMunro, Phil the Hill >> Nope, definitely not F-35 and not Eurofighters. These had twin engines.
killy9999
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Great report Killy, turned out to be a bit of an epic voyage due to that weather. Real shame, and I hope you do come back and get the views you deserved. I think this year has been exceptionally wet all over Britain due to the jet stream being too far South. It's really not always that bad, even in Scotland.

I was in the Fort William area around the same time you were in the Cairngorms and got soaked for four straight days. Lost my 'mojo' after the fourth day so called it a day and drove back to Bristol early. :(
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby killy9999 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:59 am

skuk007 wrote:I was in the Fort William area around the same time you were in the Cairngorms and got soaked for four straight days. Lost my 'mojo' after the fourth day so called it a day and drove back to Bristol early. :(
I remember sitting in Bob Scott Hut and discussing what should we do now, since it rains so much. One of the ideas was going to Fort Williams, but in the end we decided there's no point because the weather there might be as bad as in Cairngorms. Seems that was a good decision.
killy9999
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland