walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lazy Sunday

Lazy Sunday

Postby basscadet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Route description: Sgurr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgurr an Airgid

Date walked: 16/09/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 845m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our day up the sisters on Saturday, Leithy & I had planned to go up and do A'Chralaig & co. on Sunday. We were still camping out behind Kintail Lodge Hotel, which made for a fine short stagger home on a Saturday night. :D
Sunday morning came, we were awoken by wind and rain rustling our canvas, sounded awful! and on top of our fuzzy heads, it was enough to make us ditch those plans quickly :lol:
Sleeping bags were pulled back over heads, until we were awoken by the salvage company guys who were down to carry on chopping up the old ferry at 10 :?
After the pack up, we headed down to the Jacobite again for breakfast.. It was closed again, but we waited and the wifie turned up : thumbup:
By the time we had drunk our fill of tea, it was well after 12.30, and we decided just to go for a wander up Sgurr an Airgid for a wee leg stretch.. with 4 hours drive ahead of me, I didn't want to stay too late :(
We drove round to the start point, Leithy thought it was further down the road though, we drove on, only to find there was nowhere to park, and we ended up back at the burial ground car park in the end. :lol: There was a heavy shower on, so we waited for a good weather window before we set out.

The bottom reaches of the path are well covered in cow pats, and the path is well ripped up by hooves - a soggy, muddy nightmare! but the path improved quickly, and we were soon getting views out over Kintail :)

The path zig-zagged up the hill. I almost stood on this wee fellow that was trying to avoid the blustery winds! :)

There was a heavy shower, I had to don the full waterproofs, as I just had jeans on after forgetting any walking clothes :D The views got better though as the shower subsided and we got higher. The landscape was dappled in showers & sunshine.

pretty soon we hit the ridge. leithy had said it was pretty flat from there, but it really wasn't! :lol:

A fairly steep slog, bathed in a bit of rare sunshine got the sweat up, and then just a wee, short, flat walk to the summit.

Another shower came over just as we hit the top, so we ran to the shelter of some crags, and waited for the hail to die down before starting our fairly speedy descent.

I noticed this on the way down.. I have no idea what it could be used for. it had a 6 inch hole drilled in the bottom, smaller holes drilled down each side, and was tied securely to the boulder with a rope :think:

It was a bit sad to finish the walk - a bit too short - and I had to head home after.. Not nearly enough of a Kintail fix for me :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Lazy Sunday

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 am

You weren't kidding about the leisurely start B :lol: though it is vital to get breakfast before anything else on any day of the week (more important that bringing your walking clothes on a walking weekend I'd say :wink: ) This little beauty was well worth the effort anyway with some spectacular views. I've no idea on the blue thing but will be interested to see what the knowledgeable WH'ers make of it.
Little cracker this one :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

This report is sadly lacking in trouser photos! Not good enough BC! Excellent effort though given the bug that seemed to have afflicted you both. :wink:

As for the blue thing, I really don't know, but I'd take a guess at some sort of animal feed dispenser. :?
Graeme D

Munros:220   Corbetts:105
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 am

This is a great hill to pass a couple of hours on - some brilliant views of the 5 sisters if you actually get to see them.

I remember spotting that bit of blue barrel before. I'm pretty sure there was some pipe attached to the bottom of it a few years back, so it would have been an inlet for the local farmer's water supply. I was working on the public water network in the area at the time, and took a photo of it to suggest as a 'low cost' alternative to what we were designing :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:262   Hewitts:256
Wainwrights:104   Islands:33

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland