walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon From Tomintoul

Ben Avon From Tomintoul

by Alastair S » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Avon

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 42.7 km

Ascent: 1630m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Avon From Tomintoul

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Great pics, as always. I like the way the "winter" shot is captioned as being in May.

My route (some years ago now) was to cycle in from Tomintoul, leave the bike about where you did, walk up the glen and camp overnight by the Fords of Avon, then walk back over the 3 Munros to the bike. I then biked & walked back to the Fords of Avon from Linn of Dee the following day to retrieve my tent & overnight camping gear, not bagging any more Munros as the weather had turned and the route was longer than I had appreciated. This would make a more sensible route backpacking the gear back over the tops, but I used to go to great lengths to avoid that!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Alastair S » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff, i was up Ben Avon yesterday. Can you confirm the summit is the Tor to the left in your summit photo? We went up both the high Tors at the summit except Mo, but was just looking to confirm the one to the left is highest. Cheers :D

I couldn't tell to be honest. In my photo the one on the left is nearest the camera so it could just be the perspective making it appear higher. When I got there I thought it was the one on the right, so climbed that. The right one is certainly easier to get up and is the one with the trig marks on it. When I was up there they looked to be pretty much the same height. Next time I'll take a long plank & a spirit level :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kevsbald » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Clach Choutsaich is stunning, isn't it Al? Another lovely report. Looking forward to your Assynt trips.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Nice :) . Looked at this last week but forgot to comment :oops: . I fancy a trip into the Cairngorms from that side sometime.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Definitely my kind of trip involving a good cycle in/out :thumbup: Had originally looked at this approach but in the end opted to go from the west instead - think I need to have a go at this route in future - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes a lovely report there Alastair with a wonderful route and stunning photography :D :D :D
If you are off to Assynt, I most certainly look forward to those reports :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland