walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Manky day on beinn glas

Manky day on beinn glas

Postby scotdavid63 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 17/09/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, off we set to do the tenth highest Munro the day before my son's tenth birthday. Shocking rain when we arrived in the car park but sun shone after 10 mins so off we went with dog and five year old daughter. The spate at the burn crossing should have been a sign but we had a few wee showers and that was it, until we got close to 1000m ...
At that point we encountered hail, sleet and some decent wind. My daughter was game so we persevered and marched past four brave Scottish national trust folks rebuilding the path, hats off to them in their oilskins working away for our benefit. Dog did not like the orange suit though ! Sadly weather worsened and despite some hastily munched food just after the beinn glas summit the kids would not go up the higher hill, even Having walked the extra half mile after the Ben glas summit. To be fair they were soaked to a fair degree and cold. I wish the big decent brands sold better kit for kids, I was dry and warm ...
Tis an easy walk I must say although when it has rained heavily the burn crossing is a bitch, I had to throw the kids across upstream, the wee ford was a deep torrent and dangerous !
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Manky day on beinn glas

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Well done for getting the kids out in manky weather :clap:

And well done kids for bagging a summit with your old dad :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Manky day on beinn glas

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I agree about the kit for kids, it's pretty awful. especially waterproof trousers, I ended up making some.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland