walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stuchd an Lochain

Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stuchd an Lochain

Postby gman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 18/09/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1277m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

meall-buidhe actual 18-9-2012.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not the most exciting hills but good views so I'm glad I got good weather. GPS showed the car was already around 410m so that's the hard part done :)

14 miles on single track, had to open a large gate on the road to the dam, got parked & set off about 10:40. Sign at the start of the track to Meall Buidhe:

Followed the track round and started up from the cairn. Met a couple later who went directly up & had a miserable time in the bog.

Straightforward grassy/muddy ascent with views back down to Loch an Daimh:

Mud:

Further up, headed for a bealach and the top on the left starts the ridge round to Meall Buidhe:

Cairn:

Great views all round here, Rannoch Moor to Glen Coe:

Met a few others who had been up Stuchd an Lochain before, it's not as wet but was steep at the start. Had a look across the loch:

Great having a car at halfway point, stocked up with more water & headed round on the road. There's a locked gate before the dam, climbed over and walked to cairn at start of path:

Path started off heading west, then straight up. Bit of mud at the start and there was a stream running down the path - scree & muddy grass but not too bad. View down:

Got to the ridge & metal fence posts, looking down Glen Lyon:

Then west again to a top at 888m and from there a couple of kms round to the summit:

Bit windy here & was getting briefly battered by hailstones, top:

End of the rainbow:

Cairn and some views from the top:

Glen Coe hills again, good view of the Buachaille:

Then back along the path, a cairn marks the beginning of the descent back down to the loch:

Nobody else doing the 2 hills today and I was the only car left when I got back. Group of highland cattle had decided to chill out on the single track road, so I drove very slowly past them :? Passed a sign in Killin, think there's no through road after 8pm for resurfacing? and Crianlarich-Tarbet closed 10-6 for same reason (loads of unmarked ramps on loch road).
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stuchd an Lochain

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

most of the reports i've read on these seem to be in grotty weather, so it's nice to see sunshine on them
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Fudgie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm

I would do these two in a circuit that goes round the loch as if I got back to the car after one of them I wouldn't do the second :oops:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:18 pm

mrssanta wrote:most of the reports i've read on these seem to be in grotty weather, so it's nice to see sunshine on them

After doing a few in the clag I'm trying to avoid grotty weather, think these 2 would be fairly dull without the views.

Fudgie wrote:I would do these two in a circuit that goes round the loch as if I got back to the car after one of them I wouldn't do the second :oops:

Had the same idea, had to activate the willpower! :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Some great views there and you were lucky with the weather too (overlooking a few showers or hailstones).

I walked Meall Buide 2 weeks ago in comparable conditions, with a brisk breeze and a broken cloud ceiling above, but I'm sure I could see (if not name) at least 25% of the Munros from the top. I didn't get to walk the Stuchd, though due to my brother being tired, rather than any lack of willpower on my part! But your report gives a good idea of what to expect on the ground, thanks.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby duff777 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Was up on other Munro today lovely weather ,but the views are brilliant from these two Meall Buidhe still as boggy as ever is the only bad point
duff777
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland