walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol 2011 And a wee embarrassment.

Glas Maol 2011 And a wee embarrassment.

Postby JonAksel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Maol

Date walked: 16/08/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 601m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Reflections I.
I was on a visit in the slow town of Huntly and the weather was very nice.
On the way back home, I spotted some nice mosaic, and the urge to get out in the wilderness awakened.
I stopped at the big parking there at Glenshee ski resort, and checked the roadmap. I found out that there must be some Munro just 3 K away from the road. I didn't have my usual equipment, but decided to walk for a small trip just with some food in the small backpack. I smelled an easy Munro to bag and would find out which one it was afterwards. The problem was that the weather now had changed to rain. But I just followed the path up to the top of the ski-lift. Then I went slightly down to a wee bealach, and gambled to follow the Zig-Zag path up the hill. It was amazing how flat it was up there, and I didn't have the real summit feeling, and was not sure if it really was a Munro. After having doublechecked with some pictures here, I found out it must have been Glas Maol, since I recognized the trigonometric point.
On the way back I was trying to get some rabbit pictures in the fog. I have never seen so many rabbits in my life, and they looked so fat in the fog. But they were not very willing to pose.
Then I lost the consentration, the path and the direction. I think I was on the way southwards, maybe approaching another munro because the path started to ascend again. I was here:
After maybe 45 minutes i decided to return to Glas Maol again so I could start over again and know my exact whereabouts. (Would this count as two climbs?) Second summit picture.
That was easy to find again even the second time in the fog, and I tried to consentrate better to recall the path to walk down. The idea of ending up in a wrong glen, with a long taxi trip to find my own car was disturbing my mind. And still fog:
Fortunately the fog now lifted a bit and I could recognize the big antenna on the other side of the road, I regained control and found back to the ski-centre again.
The conclusion is that I strongly recommend map and compass even on short trips.
Reflections II:
I was having fun trying to reconstruct this trip on the map. As you see I was heading northeast from the summit of Glas Maol not south as I was thinking at that time, and I was pretty close to Cairn of Claise.
I am planning to do some kind of circuit in this area this summer. (2012).
It will have to be on a sunny day. And I will bring map and compass.
You can't trust those hares.

Well this is the description of the actual route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Reflections III
I have been to the same area two times in 2012.
I saw how everything was from Cairn of Claise.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland