walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Luibhean, Beinn Ime and a Seaplane!

Beinn Luibhean, Beinn Ime and a Seaplane!

Postby meangarry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 21/09/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 1010m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a short break in Oban and Inverary I had been itching to get up a mountain all week. Fortunately the weather was to be good on friday and a plan was hatched. Fizz wasn't too excited but I had made a list at the start of our week off and it was on the list to go for a walk. Her resistance was futile. :lol: As a few have noticed before on WH Fizz isn't the most fond of the mountains so I take great pleasure in her pain when the going gets tough. :lol: I reckon she dislikes it partly as she isn't quite fit enough and although I've bought her a nice pair of boots she always wears her old leaky ones. Wet feet and tired legs are not fun I'll admit that. I'll keep trying though! She will learn to enjoy it. :D

Anyways I digress. We started off slightly later than I'd have liked but there was still a frost on the ground. The style at the ruin was iced over and quite slippy.
DSC_0311 (640x424).jpg
Early frost.
After fighting through the fallen trees to the top of the plantation on the right of the burn and getting onto the ridge of Beinn Luibhean the going got tough. Fizz struggled on and I smiled. Haha.
DSC_0319 (640x424).jpg
Steep pull up Beinn Luibhean
However the steep slope was worth the hard work as the views over Loch Restil were fantastic.
DSC_0325 (640x424).jpg
Loch Restil and Ben an Lochain
Once onto the ridge further up the severity of the slope eased and the summit was getting closer. We stopped for a wee rest and took time to admire Beinn Ime. Fizz was not too excited at the prospect of the 1011m munro. I however couldn't wait. It was to be my first 1000m+ mountain. :D
DSC_0326 (640x424).jpg
Fizz and Beinn Ime
We soon made the summit of Beinn Luibhean and took a short rest whilst taking some photos.
DSC_0331 (640x424).jpg
Summit of Beinn Luibhean
DSC_0335 (640x424).jpg
Fizz on the Summit
The wind was blowing and we decided to descend to the belach before having a snack. Picking our way down the terraced ground was good fun and out of the wind it was pleasant. We sat with a view of Ben Arthur and watched the crowds on the summit.
DSC_0339 (640x424).jpg
Fizz and Ben Arthur
After our break we set off across to Beinn Ime. I spotted two other walkers, the first of the day and I suppose a benefit of our route up the corbett first. They were heading up Beinn Ime after following the burn to the belach. My competitive streak surfaced and I decided to steepen our ascent to overtake the pair. However, Fizz wasn't to fast and after chatting to the father and daughter we let them move ahead again. Before we knew it we had reached the path on the shoulder and eventually the summit. We shared the shelter with Donald and his daughter and talked about mountaineering in general, clubs and his adventures. He'd been airlifted off everest at 6000m and had quite a cv. Made me feel like a right amateur but at the same time he was an encouraging chap. After he and his daughter had left a wee fella from Glasgow and his dad who had come up from the arrochar side were also good company. The wee chap took our photo before I returned the favour for him and his dad on his first munro before we set off too.
DSC_0345 (640x424).jpg
Summit of Beinn Ime
There was only one other chap on the summit and we were all treated to the sight of a passing seaplane.
DSC_0352.JPG
Ailsa Craig
DSC_0354 (640x424).jpg
Some geezer, Ben Arthur and the Seaplane
DSC_0357.JPG
Ben Lomond
It was a great day and hopefully Fizz seeing some wee kids and nice folk out on the mountains will get her a wee bit more into it. I'll keep trying! We took way longer than we should have and I shortened the walk as I would have liked to bag Ben Vane too but never mind. It still was another good day. To top it all off we managed to see the meteor shower later that night. What a sight! :shock: :clap: :clap: What a fantastic little planet we live on.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

meangarry

Munros:27   Corbetts:17
Grahams:13   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland