walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck Video- misconceptions and birdy companions....

Ben Klibreck Video- misconceptions and birdy companions....

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 am

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 09/09/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Klibreck – 9th September

Continuing my short trip on the North coast, I decided to go up Ben Klibreck on route home from Borgie. The previous day I had been up Ben Loyal which had been contrasting day weather wise with the clag clearing to blue skies but also accompanied by gale force winds!!

Today the forecast seemed good with MWIS predicting 90% chance of cloud free Munros.

I chose to climb the hill from the parking area south of Vagastie Bridge where there is a nice parking area. I drove down past Loch Loyal taking some nice early morning pictures of the hill over the loch.
DSC03761.JPG
Loch Loyal

I had in my mind’s eye a notion that Ben Klibreck would be a boring lump with views only to moor and peat hags, with a lot of wet walking over boggy ground.

However my first view of the hill as I rounded the corner heading down to Altnaharra was very different. The mountain towers over Altnaharra and I thought it looked a rather imposing hill from this angle, very much a mountain and not an easy – 3 hr. trek (another preconception I had – even though all guides said 5-7hrs!!).

So parked up and headed off about 09.00. The faint all vehicle terrain path heads towards the Kronk. The path was slightly damp but not too bad!
DSC03764.JPG
Klibreck

I could see the summit of Klibreck poking through the cloud and I wondered if I would be lucky enough to reach the top and have a mini inversion. There was lots of high level cloud though and my chances of blue skies like the prior day were slim.

I also noticed from the Kronk that this was going to take me longer than the 3hrs I thought!! I headed up on the path which traverses the western side of Creag an Lochain and headed North with far reaching views to Ben Loyal and Ben Hope.

I was feeling tired now and by the time I reached the base of Meall nan Con, my energy levels had slumped!! In fact I went at a rather energy conserving speed (read slow!) up the final pull to the highest point on Ben Klibreck. Once again it was bloomin windy up top. I think it was about 12.30. I took some pics and vids and then headed off realising I still had a long drive home!!!

I got back to the car about 14.00 and met no other walkers, although a few timid ptarmigan did walk with me for a little while (see video)!!
DSC03779.JPG
ptarmigan

A good day only spoiled by the long drive home – I still think the road between here and Lairg is one of the most desolate areas and roads I’ve travelled on!! Would not like to be here in a blizzard!!!!
wilkiemurray

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland