walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inverness wandering: Craig Phadrig & Dunain Hill

Inverness wandering: Craig Phadrig & Dunain Hill

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Route description: Craig Phadrig, Inverness

Date walked: 21/11/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 21/11/2009
Hills - Craig Phadrig (172m) & Dunain Hill (288m), Inverness (plus a bit of the Great Glen Way route in the city)
Weather - Nice clear/bright start (7am). Clouds rolled in as forecast at midday - 1 brief shower as this happened but the worst rain struck after 3pm when I was at home with my feet up. Result.
People - Me
Time - 6 Hours
Distance - 18km

With rain forecast all over the place and my lack of a will to beg, borrow or steal a car to go afar I thought I'd see where I could end up by walking out the house and exploring my immediate surroundings properly.

It ended up being a combination of the inner Inverness City section of the Great Glen Way (start or finish off the overall route depending on how you do it!), with detours to a couple of the small hills surrounding the city - Craig Phadrig & Dunain Hill.

The route begins in the city centre and heads South on the East bank of the River Ness (as walked by me every day to work! - nice change to swap the suit and shoes for walking boots and Goretex this time! :) ). Cross the river via Ness Islands and continue on the Great Glen Way (GGW) route - past the Sports Centre and North-West along the canal. Leave the canal path and past the golf course before ascending towards the Hospital grounds. Leave the GGW route by going NW through Leachkin en route to Craig Phadrig. After the Craig Phadrig circuit go SW down the road briefly before joining a track that passes the Chambered Cairn and crosses the GGW path and on to the track contouring round Dunain Hill in an anti-clockwise direction. I then took the GGW back into Inverness, joining where I cut off earlier in the day at the Hospital, and retracing my footsteps back to the start (although returning on the West bank of the River Ness and going over the footbridge near the end).

It was a nice enough walk, with plenty of interest along the way. Very few view points whilst on the small hills (there IS a few spots though) to get a view (mostly blocked by trees) but as the pics show there's plenty of other vantage points for a brief view in most directions - just not all at the same time!

myinverness1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking W across River Ness and the Cathedral. You can make out Dunain Hill in the background

A recent daylight shot from same spot:

Again from same spot turning to face NW - you can make out Ben Wyvis in the distance:

Inverness Castle

Another recent shot:

Start of Route. The Thistle symbol is used on markers throughout the GGW route

Inverness Cathedral

Eden Court Theatre

Looking across to Eden Court (14/10/2009)

Looking back North toward the Castle

And again (14/10/2009):

South down River Ness from the footbridge

War Monument

Looking toward the footbridge from the War Monument

There's lots of benches in the nooks and crannies around Ness Islands - although with all the recent rain you'd have gotten wet going near most of them today!

However there were some dry spaces to be found

Coffee anyone? Not for me. That's the Cemetary hill in the background, just North of the sports centre on the East side of the canal

Cruise boat on the Caledonian Canal

Continue up the path on the West side of the Caledonian Canal

Looking W across the golf course toward Dunain Hill

Fore!!!

Continue ascent toward Craig Dunain

Sun rising from the South

Looking over Inverness, Kessock Bridge and the Moray Firth

Start of Craig Phadrig walk

Good tracks all the way

Top of the hill - where the fort once stood. Close to the top there was a 1 man tent pitched behind a tree.

It looked something like this

Find the gap in the trees for a view across Beauly toward Ben Wyvis

View toward Dunain Hill (partially hidden on left) from Craig Phadrig. The tree blocking the summit is doing a fine job of blocking the big mobile phone mast up there!!

Lunch anyone?

After leaving Craig Phadrig I went West along the road before joining the track NW of Leachkin and following this until meeting the GGW path and across it to Dunain Hill. Plenty of puddles to dodge!

Reservoir

Track contouring round Dunain Hill

After the Dunain Hill circuit back at the reservoir. The view over Inverness (Eden Court Theatre is the large yellow building in centre)

You get a VERY GOOD phone signal in these parts!

The cloud started to roll in and a brief shower at this point. As I was going down the GGW path, south of Leachkin, I noticed a sign saying "Picnic area & Xylophones". Xylophones? Off I went to check it out (it's only a little bit off the path). Here's something you wont find on the Munros. I've sent off my entry to Britains Got Talent :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_23PcGq0GM[/youtube]

Shower over, and bored of the xylophone, I made my way back down the GGW path all the way to the sports centre, picking up the path along the West bank of the River Ness and toward the city centre. River is quite high - and is still like that today, 3 days later.

Cross the footbridge, turn left, and after 300m you're back to where you started

:D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Inverness wandering: Craig Phadrig & Dunain Hill

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 am

Nice report, made me think to look closer to home in this weather
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Indeed, I'm sure we're all not that far from a local tree surrounded landrover track to march up and down if you just feel like going out for a wander with minimal hassle!
HighlandSC

Postby walk aboot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Great report, HighlandSC :thumbup:

My brother moved to Inverness last year, so I've been visiting loads - love the place (and the pub life :) )

A few friends and I are actually booked into the hostel between Christmas and New Year. Any walks you can recommend for us to do would be :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks Walkaboot.

I’ve only lived here for just under 2 years, only the last few months of which I’ve been a walker, so I don’t have that much local knowledge of walking routes/areas, certainly nothing much more than the routes you’ll find on here in Inverness and the Loch Ness area.

This walk I’ve just done was the result of looking at the routes for Inverness City on this site and deciding on piecing together a route from the Craig Phadrig hill, a bit of the Great Glen Way, and a wander round Dunain Hill which I’d gotten fed up of looking up to from in the city and wanting to go for a peek (trees, trees and more trees!).

There’s definitely plenty of tracks around mixed in with the usual short waymarked forest routes here and there – nothing terribly exiting though! I’d be interested myself to hear of any decent walks accessible without motor transport from the city. My next mission may be up General Wades Military Road (south from City Centre) to the Daviot Forest area – again, nothing particularly exciting but it’ll get me out the house!

If you’re able to travel a little from the city then a couple I’ve done:
Ben Wyvis (Munro) near Dingwall (Little Wyvis (Corbett) next to that)
Ben Wyvis (my 1st Munro)
Ben Wyvis (via Tom a Choinnich) [rain/wind/cloud....]

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh (Graham) near Drumnadrochit (Glas Bheinn Mor (Graham) is also just beside this)
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh (Graham), Loch Ness
HighlandSC

Postby walk aboot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks HighlandSC

Ben Wyvis is on our list :) . I've only done a few forest walks up there so far (Falls of Falloch, etc.), but I'll let you know if we find any new adventures. One of my friends is driving :thumbup: - quite fancy the Black Isle (good for bird-spotting apparently).

The Great Glen Way is on my cycling list for next year too :thumbup:
walk aboot

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Falls of Falloch? I've never heard of that near Inverness.

Searching brings up one near Loch Lomond. :?:
HighlandSC

Postby walk aboot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Oops...I meant the Falls of Foyers (think I should be paying more attention to the waterfalls thread :lol: ).
walk aboot

Postby conival » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm

A very good report HSC. Just shows you dont have to go far to enjoy yourself, give yourself a pat on the back.
conival

Postby James_McG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi mate,

Great report!!!

Inverness is a great place, just shows you that you dont always need to travel far....
I head up there usually every October week with the wife & kids, staying just outside Inverness at a place called Kiltarlity, quite near Beauly.....1st place I always head for is Glen Affric, what an amazing place!

Jim
James_McG
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi James, yeah I like Inverness. I'm from a bit further east (Forres area) but lived in Inverness for the last couple of years. Only been walking seriously a few months so haven't really ventured far on my local turf but I'm sure I'll find some other places nearby to explore.

Glen Affric is stunning. I've not done any walking there (will correct that soon as it's very close to home), but have visited in years gone by as a motor tourist. Did a couple of small wanders and checked out the 2 dams. Beautiful area.
HighlandSC

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 am

Dickson's of Forres!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 pm

That's a pretty comprehensive set of photos for this route. Don't think I've ever been around this route at such a leisurely pace. When I lived in Kinmylies, I used to go running around these areas a lot, but usually in the dark!Now I've moved to the other side of town, I don't get up there nearly as much. I like the way you feel like you are out of the city almost immediately, even if the trees do obscure the view a bit.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Dannyboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Well ive only ever really passed through Inverness but i never really thought twice about the place but i think you've shown its worth a closer look! Well done! That Xylophone place is crazy :D i think if i was a lad near there we'd have a group session, they make a great sound(not sure if its not you being a naturally talented xylophonist! :lol: )- i bet you'd get a great atmosphere from a few of them going at night and a wee(controlled!!) fire nearby to toast some marshmallows on, Mmm.... :lol:
Dannyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:58 am

kevsbald wrote:Dickson's of Forres!

Not a big force in Forres these days Kev. The once mighty car dealership fell, quite literally flattened by bulldozers, and a block of granny flats now in it's place :lol:
granny flats where dicksons once stood.jpg

malky_c wrote:I like the way you feel like you are out of the city almost immediately, even if the trees do obscure the view a bit.

Indeed. Good thing about Inverness is you're never that far from getting out the place! I find it the perfect size 'city' if there's such a thing. As good as it is inside, it's always better to be in the surrounding forests/hills/whatever!

Dannyboy wrote:they make a great sound(not sure if its not you being a naturally talented xylophonist! :lol: )- i bet you'd get a great atmosphere from a few of them going at night and a wee(controlled!!) fire nearby to toast some marshmallows on, Mmm.... :lol:

I'd go with them making a great sound over me being talented-especially one handing whilst filming! Off camera I make a right old noise, birds flying out of trees, worms heading underground, etc :lol:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the local youngsters took their Buckfast up there at night for a jam on the 'phones whilst toasting marshmallows!
HighlandSC

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland