walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog Standard

Bog Standard

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 21/09/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The September weekend was upon us and amazingly, that big bright yellow thing in the sky could actually be seen so I was determined to take advantage of a Friday off work and get out on the hills. I had to be back for tea time so I didn't want to go too far and Ben Lui & Beinn a Chleibh seemed ideal. Off I went up my favourite road, the A82 and had to put up with tourists, road works and some truly appalling driving before reaching the car park about half an hour later than I should have Image

I was surprised to be the only car there but I wasn't complaining and set off towards the river in anticipation of the crossing which I had read so much about. I found the regular crossing place and made it across with only a tiny amount of water creeping over the top of my boots. It was now time to walk into the forest and right away the ground became very wet and spongy and I knew that I was in for a tough time of it. Some trees had fallen across the path so a small diversion had been set up which took you deeper into the forest but only added a minute or two on to the walk.

Conditions underfoot were gradually getting worse and I was concentrating so hard on my foot placement that I didn't notice a split in the path and made the mistake of going off to the left when I really should have been crossing the water :oops: After a few minutes I realised my mistake and then crossed the stream and cut through the forest to regain the path I should have followed (although I would be glad later that I had went the wrong way on the way up).

The bog seemed to get worse further up and I was getting a bit exasperated with it but fortunately for my mood I reached the end of the forest and was out on to the open hillside. It was a great relief and as I started to ascend towards Ben Lui, the view opened up with the Ben Cruachan group striking a dramatic pose.

I spotted a herd of deer high up on the hillside although it was obvious that they had seen me too as they didn't hang about. It was a steep looking ascent but I made short work of it with a couple of stops to take in the views and I now had a better view of Loch Awe and the Munro's that tower over it.

I soon reached the rocky shoulder and the wee scramble that it entailed (including a slip where I landed on my backside :oops: ) but I was quickly on the top and having seen only one person far below me on the way up, I knew I had the summit all to myself. The cloud was high above the tops and the views in almost all directions were superb with only a low patch of cloud near Beinn a' Chleibh spoiling the panorama.

I enjoyed some well earned food and sat there for a lot longer than I normally would. I don't know if it was the solitude, the views, the weather or a combination of all three but I really didn't want to leave that summit. I knew I had to though and I set off on the descent to the bealach that separated the two hills. I made short work of it and as I raced up the slope to the top of Beinn a Chleibh, I met my first person of the day and he was adding Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss on to these two having walked in from Dalrigh.

We parted company and in a few minutes I was standing at the summit of Beinn a Chleibh which, after the towering summit of Ben Lui, had a kind of "after the Lord Mayor's show" feel to it. I was glad to be on the top and enjoy the views but I didn't hang around and only took a few pictures.

I dropped back down to the bealach and made my way back towards the forest and the inevitable slog through the bog. I managed to avoid some parts that had given me difficulty on the way up and as I followed the Eas Daimh, I stopped to fill up my water bottles from it and take a picture whilst I enjoyed the cold water.

As I crossed the track and headed back into the forest, I passed the point where I had emerged from the tress and if I had know exactly what lay ahead ofme, I would have went back that way. The path became an absolute quagmire at points and a couple of times I had to stop and have a good think about how to get around it. Fortunately I managed it but my boots were caked in mud by the time I got through it and I longed to reach the river and get them cleaned.

I decided to cross further up near the car park and having been careful on the way up, I just ploughed through it as dry socks and footwear awaited me. I dried my feet off and took a last look at the two hills before heading home.

Despite the adventures in the mud it was a very enjoyable day and having aimed for a 5 hour round, I was pleased to have hit that target. If I ever go back to these two I'll attempt them from the Dalrigh end just to try something different. As ever, now I try to figure out where to go next :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Bog Standard

Postby soulminer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm

This is the best route up to these- well except a traverse of the four :lol:

I don't know if it was the solitude, the views, the weather or a combination of all three but I really didn't want to leave that summit.
I wonder how many times we have all thought that :) :wink: ?
The last visit we made was after a few dry days,but snow on the top, the bog section was a bl**dy nightmare. The only saving grace was our boots were washed at the end :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:42 pm

soulminer wrote:This is the best route up to these- well except a traverse of the four :lol:

I don't know if it was the solitude, the views, the weather or a combination of all three but I really didn't want to leave that summit.
The last visit we made was after a few dry days,but snow on the top, the bog section was a bl**dy nightmare. The only saving grace was our boots were washed at the end :lol: :lol:
Cheers.

It's not often you would be glad of a river crossing at the end but it was welcomed on Friday :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby SMRussell » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Lush photos as ever Fudgie. This pair have been in the back of my mind for a while - I'd been keen to do the 4 in one go though... sound like my leaky Hi-Tecs will need to be replaced before hand though!

soulminer wrote:

Many a time! Friday afternoon with soft snow flakes falling around me and a view down into Glen Dee with the added bonus of perfect light glistening of the river Dee made me want to stay on the summit of Devil's Point for hours!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 pm

SMRussell wrote:Lush photos as ever Fudgie. This pair have been in the back of my mind for a while - I'd been keen to do the 4 in one go though... sound like my leaky Hi-Tecs will need to be replaced before hand though!

Cheers.

If you do them from Dalrigh then it won't be anywhere near as bad (although it's a longer walk). The guy I spoke to who had came in that way laughed when I showed him the colour of my gaiters and said he had found it fine the other way.

Once you're across the river the guide on here says to squeeze under the railway but there was just too much water flowing for me to do that.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby soapy27 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Some nice photos there Fudgie :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:20 pm

soapy27 wrote:Some nice photos there Fudgie :clap:

Cheers soapy :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Skylady » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Fudgie,
Really nice photographs, what camera are you using?
Skylady
Mountaineer

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Skylady wrote:Fudgie,

Thanks. It's a Nikon D300 with a Sigma 10-20mm lens on the front. I also carry an ND filter to help with the sky. Bigger versions of the pictures can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762426@N05/sets/72157631601791236/
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Some great photos there fudgie - good time of year as the air seems that much clearer and you also get the colours in the grass and heather - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 pm

rockhopper wrote:Some great photos there fudgie - good time of year as the air seems that much clearer and you also get the colours in the grass and heather - cheers :)

Cheers RH, it was ideal weather for me.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Cracking photos as ever Fudgie.
I felt for you going through that boggy forest, it was the muckiest route I've been to date.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:24 pm

skuk007 wrote:Cracking photos as ever Fudgie.
I felt for you going through that boggy forest, it was the muckiest route I've been to date.

Cheers.
It rivaled Beinn Chabhair in the sogginess stakes.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Skylady » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Fudgie wrote:
Skylady wrote:Fudgie,

Thanks. It's a Nikon D300 with a Sigma 10-20mm lens on the front. I also carry an ND filter to help with the sky. Bigger versions of the pictures can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762426@N05/sets/72157631601791236/

Thank you for the info, that Nikon is one of the cameras on my list.
Your photographs are really beautiful.
Rhonda.
Skylady
Mountaineer

Postby dunrig » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

Fudgie, its a long walk in but I find starting from dalrigh/tyndrum a much preferable route up ben lui, you get to see the queen of the southern highlands in her alpine like splendour -cut with coire gaothach,- its not so intresting from the other side more of a grassy lump. Also in the right conditions you can go straight up central gully, otherwise make a circuit of the ridges, more aesthetically pleasing.
sorry soulminer...although I suppose if you are adding beinn a'chleibh my prefered route is a long one...
dunrig

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland