walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin from Ardvorlich

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin from Ardvorlich

Postby hanslenz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:52 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 29/07/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Couldn't see a thing from up on the summit :-)

I did the first half of the tour on July 5 - the weather was pleasent enough but the wind was pushing the clouds across the peaks in a quite dramatic fashion. I was there early enough to find a good parking spot close to Ardvorlich House and proceeded through the east entrance (the other one is private, so no passing through).
I found this to be a very pleasent walk - steep at times but not too bad at all. The views across Loch Earn are wonderful! As I reached the summit I was basically stuck deep inside clouds and couldn't see squat. That was a bit disappointing, but I found it astonishing that inside the cloud the wind is much less severe. Once you think about it, it makes sense what with the air density and all, but it is still an eerie feeling to walk up the hill being pushed about ny a strong breeze and then at the top it is relatively calm :-)
Anyway, since visibility was very poor I decided to head back the way I came - there will be other days for doing the full tour!
hanslenz

Munros:13   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland