walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a Cracking day and 2nd munro bagged :)

What a Cracking day and 2nd munro bagged :)

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 23/09/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well what can i say, after last weekend when we did Ben Lomond which was our first munro and it had been sore and miserable we got out of the car determined to have a good day. Of course i should add that i am joined by my good friends again Rob and Steve(username Ruinsteve )
Ben Chonzie 001.JPG

It was an almost perfect day as far as weather goes and we made good time and met some nice people on the way up.
Ben Chonzie 004.JPG

As we neared the top views like the photo below came to us.
Ben Chonzie 018.JPG

It didn't take us long to reach the top.
Ben Chonzie 019.JPG

On the way down i saw a nice stack of stone the right height to take a timed Photo of the 3 of us.
Ben Chonzie 021.JPG

Then before we knew it we were back at the bottom with slightly sore feet but apart from that none of us were particularly tired or worse for wear. I think that despite how rounded we are we bagged our second munro fairly easily and really enjoyed it and meeting some really nice people on the way.

Where we going next week ......?
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: What a Cracking day and 2nd munro bagged :)

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 pm

good on you! that's it, your life will never be the same again!
mrssanta
Munro compleatist

Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:56 pm

It certainly has changed, Thats 5 weeks on trot that we've been hill walking and i'm already searching for next weekends challenge. Could really do with some ideas.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Well done on your 2nd munro, it does get a bit addictive. I started doing it as an alternative to the gym in February, now I find myself with 29 munros and a few smaller ones bagged as well.

Have you thought about the Arrochar Alps?
Beinn Narnain is a great hill, it has a bit of everything, and you can easily combine it with Beinn Ime or The Cobbler.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Before I did Ben Chonzie, I read people saying it was a boring hill but after battling through a whiteout and high winds to get to the top, it was just a wee bit exciting :wink:

As for your next move, the Arrochar Alps are a good shout although if you're not fixated on Munro's, the Corbett Ben Ledi is a great walk.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey Fudgie, thanks for the advice mate, that made for a good day out and a good workout for us to work off some of our roundness and since the munros are a little out of range from our preferred travel time we've decided to stick to Corbetts for the next few weeks and keep building up the fitness.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Well done! We have been planning our first munro and were thinking of making Ben Chonzie the one but a bit put off after seeing the cows in your photo not behind a fence (since we always have the dog).

What a great day you had for it, last weekend was super. Lovely looking views from up there, makes all the difference when the sun shines. Have to agree, The Cobbler is a good one to add to your to do list, we did it in May and the views are spectacular.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:55 am

Saturday 27th April 2013
Me and my Dad went up Ben Chonzie. It was a brilliant father son day and the only thing to let it down was my brashers even tho they have only done around 100 miles have started blistering my heel :(
Met some really nice people and had a few nice chats. Couldn't ask for a better place to have lunch, sitting in the sun with the world at our feet.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland