walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms Wild Camp

Cairngorms Wild Camp

by SMRussell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 21/09/2012

Distance: 43.1 km

Ascent: 1972m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cairngorms Wild Camp

Postby soulminer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am

Always better to 'get one in' before the real snow starts !! A fine place you chose as well :)
Did you manage to find yourself a new piece of photographic equipment ?
soulminer

Postby SMRussell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

Cheers Soulminer :D I've yet to purchase a little memory snapper to take up into the hills. RTMcB's wizz-pop, wizz-bang new Sony compact was used for this trip. I'm fairly impressed with it but its more than I'd want to spend and I just can't make up my mind what to go for :think: :crazy:

Guess I'll just have to share RTMcBs for a while longer! Wonder whose patience will falter first?
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Ranger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Wow! Amazing trip and photos, so jealous! :lol:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

This was a cracker, one of those reports that makes you want to go out there and do it. Nice one :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Woooo Hooo!
I got a mention :)

Looks like a great trip you had up there, I know I was a burst baw try to get Bhrotain, MM and Sgor Goaith. So well done!
Must've been something else up being up there at the crack of dawn. Fab views to say the least.

Was nice of you to say hello as well :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm

that looked like a great trip a little like the one we did but we took two nights. where did you camp?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

That's a change from the cosy highland b and b's, SM! It's great to be under the stars and wake up in the mountains, though. There's something special about the Cairngorms.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Bod » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Lovely photos and a great effort, well done! :D :D :D
I used to stay out in the Cairngorms years ago when I first took hillwalking seriously, you've got me planning more again even sooner than I thought :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby SMRussell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:30 am

Ranger wrote:Wow! Amazing trip and photos, so jealous! :lol:

Johnny Corbett wrote:This was a cracker, one of those reports that makes you want to go out there and do it. Nice one :thumbup:

Thanks both :D

ScottishLeaf wrote:Woooo Hooo!
I got a mention :)

Well would be rude not to! :) Maybe bump into you again some time :)

mrssanta wrote:that looked like a great trip a little like the one we did but we took two nights. where did you camp?

I remember reading and enjoying your report. We thought about staying out for 2 nights but due to over packing and thus tiring ourselves and my boots breaching on the first day we thought making the most of day 2 and heading home was the best move.

We camped near the Allt Clais an t-Sabhail between Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine at 1034 meters. Considered heading towards the Loch an Stuirteag but it was getting dark and the weather was really closing in so we found a reasonable patch and pitched up. Wasn't ideal as we were on a slope and thus there was quiet a bit of sliding over to one side of the tent throughout the night! But the views and swift ascent of the Angels Peak in the morning more than made up for it :D 8)

simon-b wrote:That's a change from the cosy highland b and b's, SM! It's great to be under the stars and wake up in the mountains, though. There's something special about the Cairngorms.

Haha - I think RTMcB fancies a cosy B&B if we do another full weekend before the year is out. I did miss my celebratory ale just a smidge but like you say, sleeping under the stars and waking up in the hills cast those thoughts aside.
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am

Bod wrote:Lovely photos and a great effort, well done! :D :D :D
I used to stay out in the Cairngorms years ago when I first took hillwalking seriously, you've got me planning more again even sooner than I thought :D :D :clap:

Cheers Bod :D I'm definitely a Cairngorms convert, in the right conditions it is just the most wonderful place to be. I'd never claim to have a favorite area of the highlands though and I'm a strong believer that variety is the spice of life. Yet to visit Torridon though and have my suspicions that area might steal my heart....
SMRussell

Postby luibnaclach » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Corrour has some excellent wild camping spots, but chose carefully lots of very wet areas, and try to go April May before the MIDGES get really hungry. :crazy: :crazy: Great location and with a licenced restraurant at the station and also YHostel as back up, just in case. :D

:) definately before the end of may,trust me, i know corrour midgies.
,and they can be unbearable :(
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Postby rjpatyou » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Great pictures :D ,I’m thinking of one more wild camp round devil’s Point just keeping an eye on the weather. Late oct could be to late but the walk reports and pics on walkhighlands are a great help. As its a 350 miles to Cairngorms from me :(
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Fabbbbb! See you out on the hills one evening...
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 am

Wonderful stuff. You don't look cold at all though in some of those pictures... :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby SMRussell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm

luibnaclach wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Corrour has some excellent wild camping spots, but chose carefully lots of very wet areas, and try to go April May before the MIDGES get really hungry. :crazy: :crazy: Great location and with a licenced restraurant at the station and also YHostel as back up, just in case. :D

:) definately before the end of may,trust me, i know corrour midgies.
,and they can be unbearable :(

Eek, end of May it is!

rjpatyou wrote:Great pictures :D ,I’m thinking of one more wild camp round devil’s Point just keeping an eye on the weather. Late oct could be to late but the walk reports and pics on walkhighlands are a great help. As its a 350 miles to Cairngorms from me :(

350 miles away :( Hope you manage to squeeze in one more trip :D

kevsbald wrote:Fabbbbb! See you out on the hills one evening...

Cheers Kev! Haven't seen many reports from you lately - hope you're still getting out and up!

Fudgie wrote:Wonderful stuff. You don't look cold at all though in some of those pictures... :lol:

Oh my, if I had a dingly-dangly I think it would have burrowed back inside me and refused to come out while we were on Cairn Toul! Wet feet, wind and snow make for the chills!
SMRussell

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland