walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Camping, castles, red wine and Cruachan

Camping, castles, red wine and Cruachan

by Mountainlove » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 am

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 22/09/2012

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 1389m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Camping, castles, red wine and Cruachan

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Lovely report and excellent photos ML :D

Glad to see you had a few more luxuries with you this time :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 pm

nice report and great pictures, we were up on sunday, report to follow ,did you happen to visit St.Conan`s Kirk ? We passed it and iv`e since googled it, what a place.Wish we went in.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am

@ Peter913 ...Many thanks Peter :D

@ quinners161... I can only recommend them...its a nice day out but give yourself 8h to complete them

@ Fudgie ...You could always return at some point :wink:

@ Graeme D...it was actually some left overs I brought from home...the camp spot I can only recommend!! :thumbup:

@ dogplodder ...the midges would have a feast on you in summer time... :roll:

@ PeteR ...yes I was lucky with the weather...hopefully I will have a few days like that again

@ pigeon ...I have seen snow pictures of it...you must have had an amazing time...how were the slabs in the snow??

@ soapy27... many thanks!!! :D

@ Alan S ...lol that would be an idea for dinner 8)

@ monty...I try my best...dont want to scare people to death :shock: 8)

@ Bod... many thanks and I agree :D

@ rockhopper...Yes try to get back if you can...the views are pretty special up there.

@ malky_c... looking outside I guess today would be a lovely day...if one would not have to work :(

@ 147cjl...Thank you...nice new profile picture by the way :D

@ pollyh33...Lol you cant beat a car...although I always end up taking far too much :crazy:

@ tomyboy73... I have visited St Conans on 2 different occasions...it is amazing! I love the story as well...
It was build by a man for his mother who could not make the long way to church. If you can, stop there next time you drive past and have a look inside...it is worth it! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 am

Nice one ML, some stunning photos there, looks like a fab walk. I've tried to do it twice and both times I turned back as the weather was mental. A nice wee reminder that I've still to go back and do the full horseshoe. Looks a cracker :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby kevsbald » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 am

Outstanding - did you sink the whole bouteille?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby nzt2011 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 am

monty wrote:Cracking photos especially the Dam ML.

I had to convince him (quite a few times) that the route would be sooo much easier than other routes I had taken before and that he would be fine. Not very convinced he agreed and we moved up the hill.

I had a good laugh when I read this expecting some hairy stuff but you were actually quite gentle with your pal :lol: :lol:

@Monty - first time I've had the "thigh burn" in a loooooong time! wasn't as steep as first expected though and ML failed to add in I was first to the top :D
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Nice one ML, some stunning photos there, looks like a fab walk. I've tried to do it twice and both times I turned back as the weather was mental. A nice wee reminder that I've still to go back and do the full horseshoe. Looks a cracker :D

Many thanks...having to turn twice is tough...hopefully next time you will manage it!!!

kevsbald wrote:Outstanding - did you sink the whole bouteille?

Lol I was a good girl..only had 2 glasses...but it was well gone by Saturday evening...in company of a few pints :lol: :lol:

nzt2011 wrote:
monty wrote:Cracking photos especially the Dam ML.

I had to convince him (quite a few times) that the route would be sooo much easier than other routes I had taken before and that he would be fine. Not very convinced he agreed and we moved up the hill.

I had a good laugh when I read this expecting some hairy stuff but you were actually quite gentle with your pal :lol: :lol:

@Monty - first time I've had the "thigh burn" in a loooooong time! wasn't as steep as first expected though and ML failed to add in I was first to the top :D

I give you the ridge :D ...but who had to wait on top of the first Munro...??? :wink: :wink:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Great report, love those early morning shots. As for fishermen. Well, I am guilty of getting up at 5am to go fishing on my boat and I only live 300 yards from the lake :shock:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Brrrrrr, I'm cold now just looking at these early morning pictures :lol: ...............worth it though, they're excellent 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Stretch wrote:Great report, love those early morning shots. As for fishermen. Well, I am guilty of getting up at 5am to go fishing on my boat and I only live 300 yards from the lake :shock:

5am :shock: :shock: but to live 300 yards away from a lake...how lovely!!! Well at least you can go to bed straight after if you wanted!! 8) 8)

Stuart Angus wrote:Brrrrrr, I'm cold now just looking at these early morning pictures :lol: ...............worth it though, they're excellent 8)

The cold fingers and toes in the morning are easily forgotten...ehm a week after you have been back :D :D
But many thanks!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby old danensian » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Oh, that was camping in style - popcorn with the movie as well?

Superb misty morning shots - it's what makes those early morning starts worthwhile.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland