walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finishing off Kintail in Forcan style

Finishing off Kintail in Forcan style

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Fionas included on this walk: Biod an Fhithich

Date walked: 26/09/2012

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for this day in Kintail was white cloud and no rain so we took the chance to head up to do The Forcan Ridge, hoping the cloud would be high enough for some nice views and good walking conditions. Alas it was not to be with the best view of the day being from the Graham, Biod an Fhithich. The walk was generally done in low cloud and drizzly rain making conditions slippy at times and not good for decent photos. However the ridge was still very enjoyable and in my opinion more difficult than the Aonach Eagach, more so down to the conditions i.e the rain and wind, but also because you were kept on your toes for virtually the whole ridge where as the Aonach Eagach was for only really three sections of its ridge. We started the walk from the layby just short of the path that leads to the Bealach between Biod an Fhitich and Meallan Odhar, taking the path up beside the Allt Mhalagain before crossing over to pick up the main path. We probably should have walked down the road at the start to get on this path and probably the reason we got a funny look from a teacher leading a school group up four of The South Shiel Ridge, when we told him we were doing The Forcan Ridge. It wasn't long before we were on the other path and once up we made the short diversion to the Graham. We then returned and followed the path to the ridge, where we came to a cairn and the bypass path. We left the path making our way over the ridge and its many obstacles, a ridge i would like to return to on a clear day. Once on the ridge there were other bypass paths, some which we took due to the conditions and others we didn't. We eventually came to a cairn and then the trig point, where a quick photo was took before taking the path that leads to Bealach Coire Mhalagain. From here we climbed and then followed the ridge round to Sgurr na Sgine and from here decided to head down to the Allt Coire Toiteil rather than down Faochaig, again this decision being made by the weather. Once down we picked up the path back to the layby. In all it was a good day but not as good as we'd hoped for weather wise and not quite the style i'd hoped to finish Kintail in.
P1030915.JPG
Biod an Fhidhich

P1030916.JPG
The Graham again

P1030917.JPG
More of the Graham

P1030918.JPG
View to Loch Duich from the Graham

P1030919.JPG
Jimmy & Mo's first Graham

P1030921.JPG
Glen Shiel

P1030922.JPG
Biod an Fhidich

P1030923.JPG
First obstacle on the ridge

P1030924.JPG
The ridge

P1030925.JPG
The ridge

P1030926.JPG
The ridge

P1030927.JPG
Cairn on the ridge

P1030928.JPG
Trigpoint

P1030931.JPG
Sgurr na Sgine

P1030932.JPG
Route down
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Finishing off Kintail in Forcan style

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 pm

no like you to get lost at the start of walks :)

Pity about the weather.... i had a cracking day when I LED mgmt dooterbang and woodsyboy over these two :?
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 pm

a real shame about the weather Johnny especially at the top - still looks like you all had an enjoyable day nevertheless - have to get back to this ridge at some point myself - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 am

Been in the clag many a time Johnny so well done on getting out. In fact it was clagged in when we done these but not so bad :lol: Danger: slippy when wet :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 am

well I suppose it gives you a good excuse to go back - but it does give a certain sense of achievement and satisfaction going out in claggy weather, doesn't it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby robertphillips » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Well done johnny the saddle and the forcan ridge are a great walk. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby robertphillips » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Well done johnny the saddle and forcan ridge are a great walk. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Gavin99 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Nice , apart from the bit about this being harder than the AE :shock:
That's a good idea to include the Graham , one for a nice dry day I think :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

mountain thyme wrote:no like you to get lost at the start of walks :)Aye it's normally during the walk i get lost :crazy:
rockhopper wrote:a real shame about the weather Johnny especially at the top - still looks like you all had an enjoyable day nevertheless - have to get back to this ridge at some point myself - cheers :)
I too will return on a finer day :)
monty wrote:Been in the clag many a time Johnny so well done on getting out. In fact it was clagged in when we done these but not so bad :lol: Danger: slippy when wet :lol: :lol:
Cheers Monty :)
mrssanta wrote:well I suppose it gives you a good excuse to go back - but it does give a certain sense of achievement and satisfaction going out in claggy weather, doesn't it.
Indeed it does mrssanta and look forward to returning allready :D
robertphillips wrote:Well done johnny the saddle and the forcan ridge are a great walk. 8)
Cheers a great walk indeed :D
Gavin99 wrote:Nice , apart from the bit about this being harder than the AE :shock:
That's a good idea to include the Graham , one for a nice dry day I think :D
Yip save it for a nice day if you can Gavin :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 am

Well done you guys, a cracking walk and well done visiting the Graham. I still have this one to report on one day soon hopefully? Interesting debate on comparisons with AE, I keep changing my views on that :shock: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby jonny616 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Holy s**t your photos of the ridge make it look well scary. Shame about the old clag fella being about but hay ho them's the breaks. Might add this to the growing list of good weather hills which usually results in me being in the clag also :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Johnny,

Super scary pics of the ridge :shock: :shock:

Still have to get up there myself, thanks for warning me about it posing even more dangers than A/E :lol: :lol:

I suppose having bypass paths gives you options that you don't have on the A/E :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Nice to see you've got this ridge done, Johnny. It must still have been a good adventure despite the lack of views.
You got some good, atmospheric close-up photos in the mist.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Bod wrote:Well done you guys, a cracking walk and well done visiting the Graham. I still have this one to report on one day soon hopefully? Interesting debate on comparisons with AE, I keep changing my views on that :shock: :D :D
Thanks Bod the Graham was certainly worth the short detour. :D
jonny616 wrote:Holy s**t your photos of the ridge make it look well scary. Shame about the old clag fella being about but hay ho them's the breaks. Might add this to the growing list of good weather hills which usually results in me being in the clag also :lol: :lol:
It's not too bad, just extra care if wet. Keep it for a good day Jonny :wink:
pollyh33 wrote:Hi Johnny,

Super scary pics of the ridge :shock: :shock:

Still have to get up there myself, thanks for warning me about it posing even more dangers than A/E :lol: :lol

I suppose having bypass paths gives you options that you don't have on the A/E :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Polly. Where the path splits there is a sign that says wimps this way if you don't fancy the ridge :lol:
simon-b wrote:Nice to see you've got this ridge done, Johnny. It must still have been a good adventure despite the lack of views.
You got some good, atmospheric close-up photos in the mist.
Cheers Simon it was but still would have prefered a day like you got :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Absolutely forcan amazing Johnny :thumbup: just a shame about the weather. Nice one 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland