walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse


by Cameron94 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Route description: Bla Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Bla Bheinn

Date walked: 29/09/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 1300m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Meatball » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:35 pm

You bring a rope n gear...
I'll bring my harness, helmet and brave pills!
Meatball
 
Posts: 939
Munros:43   Corbetts:39
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Sep 10, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Pot noodles aren't too bad :? Anything hot would have done...

The Dubhs ridge with a bivi on top is on my radar, it looks like a fantastic route!

Meatball wrote:You bring a rope n gear...
I'll bring my harness, helmet and brave pills!


What's the target? :lol:
Cameron94
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Apr 22, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Meatball » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Generally on such hills my target is to avoid making a mess in my underwear...
Meatball
 
Posts: 939
Munros:43   Corbetts:39
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Sep 10, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby mgmt! » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 pm

brilliant report cameron, well done on getting out and completing this in poor conditions, youve certainly wetted my appetite to get back up to skye. i recently got the new mcofs skye scrambles book but havnt really had a look at it, but having read this im of to get it and look up this route with a view to doing it pretty soon, love the matterhorn snaps, well done again 8)
mgmt!
Walker
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Oct 18, 2010

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 pm

cracking report - very informative with great detail :thumbup: don't think I'd want to try it though even in perfect conditions - well done - cheers :)
User avatar
rockhopper
 
Posts: 6264
Munros:282   Corbetts:187
Grahams:59   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19
Joined: Jun 1, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 pm

mgmt! wrote:brilliant report cameron, well done on getting out and completing this in poor conditions, youve certainly wetted my appetite to get back up to skye. i recently got the new mcofs skye scrambles book but havnt really had a look at it, but having read this im of to get it and look up this route with a view to doing it pretty soon, love the matterhorn snaps, well done again 8)

I used the SMC Skye scrambles (page 101 to 139 are packed with information)and the SMC Skye the Cuillin guidebooks to get the route information. The only difficulty I had with staying on route was trying to figure out how to get onto the putting green, after loosing the 'trade route'.
Cameron94
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Apr 22, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 pm

rockhopper wrote:cracking report - very informative with great detail :thumbup: don't think I'd want to try it though even in perfect conditions - well done - cheers :)


Thanks rockhopper :)
Cameron94
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Apr 22, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Meatball wrote:Generally on such hills my target is to avoid making a mess in my underwear...


You better take spares then!!! :lol:
Cameron94
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Apr 22, 2011

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby mgmt! » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Cameron94 wrote:
mgmt! wrote:brilliant report cameron, well done on getting out and completing this in poor conditions, youve certainly wetted my appetite to get back up to skye. i recently got the new mcofs skye scrambles book but havnt really had a look at it, but having read this im of to get it and look up this route with a view to doing it pretty soon, love the matterhorn snaps, well done again 8)

I used the SMC Skye scrambles (page 101 to 139 are packed with information)and the SMC Skye the Cuillin guidebooks to get the route information. The only difficulty I had with staying on route was trying to figure out how to get onto the putting green, after loosing the 'trade route'.

ive already looked cameron, thinking on a round of belig, garbh bheinn, sgurr nan each, clach glas and blabheinn. now all i need is a good forcast and free weekend.
mgmt!
Walker
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Oct 18, 2010

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby gaffr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 am

In responce to the prior post. The traverse from top of loch Slapin starting with Belig over all the tops out to Blaven is a very fine day out in the hills.....a great experience but on a good weather day. :) Have been amongst these tops on three occasions. First was from the Blaven end and then connecting with the others via the wee chimney in descent but that was some time ago and less polished. :) The other two trips were with Blaven being the last top in the group in more recent times. All the trips were in June and the sun was shining each time. I would probably find the grotty weather on this trip to be a bit daunting. :)
User avatar
gaffr
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1652
Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   
Joined: Oct 25, 2009
Location: Highland.

Re: Clach Glas-Bla Bheinn traverse

Postby Cameron94 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 pm

gaffr wrote:In responce to the prior post. The traverse from top of loch Slapin starting with Belig over all the tops out to Blaven is a very fine day out in the hills.....a great experience but on a good weather day. :) Have been amongst these tops on three occasions. First was from the Blaven end and then connecting with the others via the wee chimney in descent but that was some time ago and less polished. :) The other two trips were with Blaven being the last top in the group in more recent times. All the trips were in June and the sun was shining each time. I would probably find the grotty weather on this trip to be a bit daunting. :)


That would certinally make for a good day. Better weather and a fast and light mentality it would be ideal :)
Hopefully I'll get some sun shinnng days I've not had a single one yet!
Cameron94
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Apr 22, 2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Previous



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: g123, mrssanta, yellowbelly and 35 guests