walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the words of Britney...Gimme Gimme Mor!

In the words of Britney...Gimme Gimme Mor!

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 12/09/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2 years ago Mike and I went camping in Fort William. It was right at the start of our hillwalking career. We had hardly any money and no car, having just recently returned from 12 months living and travelling in Oz. We took a bus from Dundee to Glasgow, then the Citylink to Fort William, humphing our camping gear with us. Mikes from the Midlands and had never been to Scotland before he moved up, and the closest I'd been to the highlands was a flat I shared in Aberdeen city centre!

That bus journey will stay in my mind forever... It was drizly and cold, but my god the scenery was astounding...coming accross Rannoch Moor we couldn't sit still, darting all over the bus to get better view out either side, when suddenly a beautiful terrifying monster appeared ahead out of the gloom, looking dark, forboding and utterly inpenetrable. We later found out this mountain was The Big Buachaille, The Shepard...Buachaille Etive Mor, and since that moment we craved to get closer. I reckon it was that sight that solidified our growing hill obsession.

We passed by however this time, onwards to Fort William. A year later, still skint and with no car, we attended a friends birthday at The Clachaig in January. Again we seen The Big Buach, but snow covered, it's gullys glistening with ice....way beyond our reach again...

3 weeks ago, after 3 years we finally got a wee motor. The next day we left at 6am for Glencoe. Nothing beats the excitement of that freedom after 2 years of trips planned 4 weeks in advance, and dictated by Scotrail and Citylink. Environment and CO2 emmissions...I am sorry!

DSCN1767.JPG
That view...

We took the route from Altnafeadh, laughing at Dougal Haston and his graffitti that happened not too far away, up Coire na Tulaiche to the ridge.

DSCN1768.JPG

DSCN1772.JPG

DSCN1775.JPG

DSCN1779.JPG

From there to the summit of Stob Dearg and those amazing vistas over Rannoch Moor.

DSCN1783.JPG

DSCN1787.JPG

DSCN1784.JPG

DSCN1785.JPG

DSCN1795.JPG

DSCN1816.JPG
Looking back down Coire Na Tulaich

DSCN1809.JPG

We contunued along the ridge in wind, rain and shine, and over Sto na Doire. Looking back you can see where the 'Stob Dearg' name comes from, the slopes really do appear red.

DSCN1797.JPG

DSCN1812.JPG

DSCN1814.JPG
Looking ahead along the ridge to Stob Na Doire, with Stob Na Broige peaking out in the distance

Onwards and up to Stob Na Broige, with lovely views down Glen Etive, and nothing but mountains in every direction. sparkling in the sun.

DSCN1818.JPG

Here we met a lovely guy who had sold me my boots in Tiso Dundee months before, and regaled us with imodest stories of his long distance routes all over the UK. From here we retarced our steps to the bottom of Stob Coire Altruim, and took the steep, wet and slippery rocky path down the Alt Coire Altruim, which seemed so long at this stage with my achey left knee. We reached the floor of the Lairig Gartain and it was a straightforward walk back to the car, with towering peaks all around. Here we seen the Citylink go past on it's way to Fort William, and I gave it a wee wave of thanks.

DSCN1826.JPG

We popped into the Kings House Hotel for a hot drink on our way home and met these young chaps...

DSCN1837.JPG

DSCN1843.JPG

I apologise in advance, I think I may be blocking the site soon with TRs now we have our wee car, were never going to be out of the hills :D
Attachments
DSCN1803.JPG
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: In the words of Britney...Gimme Gimme Mor!

Postby weescotsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I know the feeling well, I too had passed by and marvelled at this massive mountain guarding the entrance to Glencoe until I finally conquered it a couple of months ago. Unfortunately it was a bit wet and claggy but in between the showers the views opened up across Rannoch moor etc. Simply stunning. One of the best climbs I've done.
:D :D :D

Congrats on conquering it.....
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Great wee story behind this,still to get these two done,long may you continue climbing & posting TRs.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Wonderful and may your wheels take you to loads more cracking places, loved this route too :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am

Cheers guys, I'm always a wee bit anxious posting reports but getting your lovely feedback has put a big smile on my face :D Tonight I'll stick up my report from last weeks Cairngorms trip. :thumbup:
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Fionas:4   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Been itching to get up there all year but so far haven't managed. Your report has just made me want to all the more! :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:22 pm

What an enjoyable read, with photos to match! Thank you for sharing, I hope I get a day like you did when i finally get round to this beast! :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Islands:10

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Great story ,no stopping you's now you've got wheels :thumbup: Good luck on your future adventures :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Aye, couldn't live without my car - endless possibilities await :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

great stuff - glad you got a good day for it, the views are stunning - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:34 pm

dogplodder wrote:Been itching to get up there all year but so far haven't managed. Your report has just made me want to all the more! :mrgreen:

Agreed and also very green with envy. I've being eyeing these tantalising treats for too long!!

Great snaps :thumbup:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby scooby0511 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Cracking photographs, a walk I would like to do before the snow comes, although in some reports the snow makes it more interesting. Well done
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm

You keep the trip reports coming.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland