walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 nights in an emergency shelter and failed plans

2 nights in an emergency shelter and failed plans

by Mountainlove » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 am

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

Date walked: 29/09/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 30.2 km

Ascent: 1283m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 2 nights in an emergency shelter and failed plans

Postby 147cjl » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 pm

brpro26 wrote:ML how could I have not recognised you....your are my screensaver Jean Claude....only kidding honest, no deer stockings here...!!! :lol:
Although I must admit I thought Colin did look a did "Fecked" for want of a more polite phrase which was understandable from spending a night in a postbox. Was a tad windy on top but at least I was walking in the
right direction when I met you both. Good on you for making the 3rd Munro, possibly a good call to RTB.
Next time you should spend the night at Loch Callater bothy(RIP Stan) or the one at Loch Muick it's so much
more civilised and they have a late licence. Cheers BP.

Thanks BP - I thought I looked great :lol: that's how I look after any less than 3 hours sleep in a cave :)
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby brpro26 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Just shows you how looks can be deceiving but after only 3hrs sleep in that hobbit hole with all that wind and water boarding I can understand how you felt sheet. I did think your plans were a bit ambitious for the wind and rain that was forecast. Still there's always next time to look forward too. :shock:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby simon-b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Well done, ML and Colin. Being flexible with your plans is part of what it's all about. So is looking out for each other when you're not on your own.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 pm

well one, getting really jealous of your wild camps :mrgreen:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:14 am

brpro26 wrote:Just shows you how looks can be deceiving but after only 3hrs sleep in that hobbit hole with all that wind and water boarding I can understand how you felt sheet. I did think your plans were a bit ambitious for the wind and rain that was forecast. Still there's always next time to look forward too. :shock:

One can never be too ambitious :D :D

simon-b wrote:Well done, ML and Colin. Being flexible with your plans is part of what it's all about. So is looking out for each other when you're not on your own.

Many thanks and very true!

tomyboy73 wrote:well one, getting really jealous of your wild camps :mrgreen:

Lol all you have to do is pack a tent and head out there :D :D Although it is getting pretty chilly at nights now!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 am

Not only do we get a good walk report, with pictures, we also get informative lectures on history and Gaelic and law etc. :clap: This site is clearly not only entertaining, it is also educational.

Plans are only failed if you do not return safely. They might be amended or shortened but flexibility is always essential. I have changed plans due to conditions, both weather conditions and my condition, before. That's not failing, it's common sense and good decision making.

Well done ML (and Colin)
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby jonny616 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am

Great report. two nights in that shelter does not look favorite but better than walking out & :clap: driving home as you say.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gmcsutube » Sat May 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Interesting report.
I've done lots of wandering around the tops accessible from Glen Doll.
What was the route from Davy's Bouragh to Broad Cairn? You described coming back from Broad Cairn over Cairn Bannock and back down to Jock's Road from Fafernie.
Did you go up the ridge on to Craig of Gowal, then Cairn of Gowal, from near Loch Esk or join the main Broad Cairn path above Bachnagairn?
Two of my routes: one coming down to Loch Esk from Cairn Bannock via Cairn of Gowal and Craig of Gowal; the other ascending Broad Cairn from Bachnagairn, to near Loch Esk, then the ridge on to Craig of Gowal, then contouring round Cairn of Gowal on to Broad Cairn.
Great idea to pitch tents inside Davy's Bouragh!
gmcsutube
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland