walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If you can't be good, be lucky!

If you can't be good, be lucky!

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 02/10/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 52 km

Ascent: 1710m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The MWIS forecast was really poor, Some uninspiring hills were found and a plan was formed.
My 10 year old commuting bike was adapted back to a MTB.
I'd looked at this for a while but Dooterbang had beaten me to the punch.
Advice was sought and kit was packed.
This should be a 10 hour trek with 12 hours of daylight available (2 hours leeway)

BEINN DEARG (28km, 890m)

0730hrs, I set off from the car park at Glen Tilt and met my nemisis, parallel unmarked paths, with not enough detail on my maps. Trial and error time, I chose the middle path which took me to castle grounds, first mistake of the day. The correct option was left on to the main road, take the right fork then through a cross roads and into some woods. I chose to follow the line of the river, instead of taking a high road, mistake again as it drops height that you have to regain (it was pretty though). Out on to some moor an dthe skys were clear and I had a sweat on. My hybrid/road groupset weren't made for this. The going was steady if not steep, if you walk this you will barely notice any climb.
As I got to the high point of the moor with a bothy and a river below me it started to spit with rain, hey ho, it was a route planned for poor weather. I speed down the hill, taking care as I'd not brought a helmet (another mistake), I decide that I can ford the river and hold my speed...THUD! The front wheel jammed between two rocks and sent me over the handlebars, windmill-ing my arms. I landed on one foot and one knee, mid river. I jumped up. I wasn't hurt and I wasn't too wet. Cue a normal response of looking around to see who'd seen it...phew...no-one around. I can just keep that one to myself! FYI the stream can be forded on bike, just avoid the only 2 prominent stones under the water surface. Talented chap that I am, I found them! hehe. I press on up the road to where it ramps up, zig zagging away. I hide the bike (I'd forgotten my lock) and follow the landrover track (I remember a zig zag on the map/route, which is safe and dry inside my bag). It'd taken about 90 min to that point. It is now raining fairly steadily and visibility is about 20m. The landrover path zig zags over and over again as it goes up and up then levels out near the summit. Spider senses time....this doesn't feel right. Map out, compass out. There is one zig zag on my intended route, not the multiple ones I'd done. The path I was on wan't on the map. GPS out as there were no features due to no visibility. Ah! I'm on the wrong hill, Carn Dearg Mor possibly. I'd blindly followed a track, too complacent. I follow the compass/map around the head of Allt Sheicheachan and on to the path that I should have been on. I follow the path past the cairn that caught out Ron and Polly and up to the trig and shelter. I have a very quick look around, a quick bite to eat, get a compass bearing (as it has closed right in with driving/ freezing rain) and head back to the bike which was uneventful as I shivered away. The return from the summit to the bike took 45 min. At the bike it started to clear, quality timing! I head back down the road, ford the river (pushing the bike) and then down the track to the car. Its a quick descent taking only 45 min on the bike. I avoided the drop/reascent in the wood land by taking the high road.
Thankfully it cleared up on the descent as I was contemplating just going home.
1200hrs saw me back at the car dumping wet gear and collecting more supplies.

What the timings should heve been rather than my 4.5 hours.
Up- cycle to road end 90min
Up- walk to summit approx 60min
Down- walk 45min
Down cycle 45min

CARN A' CHLAMIAN (24km, 820m)

I set off from the same start point and cycled up to the Allt Craoinidh where I hid the bike and had some grub. This had taken me about 45 min.
The initial climb is very steep and grassy/muddy which clogged the lugs in my salomon's which made life "interesting". I'd avoid this o the descent by going 50m or so to the side down the heather bank. My legs felt odd, probably the walking and cycle combo taking its toll. The path then joins a landrover track (take the high road) and I was treated to some views of the surrounding hills. This didn't last long as it closed in with lashing rain and I retreated inside my hood and just plodded away.
Near the summit I heard someone speak to me I looked up and there was a couple with a dog descending. I chatted for a short while but I was shivering. Frank (a Hungarian Vizsla) was shivering too. I said I needed to head on and I'd maybe see them on the way down. I marched off at pace, trying to generate heat, following the path. After a bit the path started to fade, it was going downhill. I remember from my map that the path bypasses the summit. I'd done it again. Compass out, correct bearing obtained and up to the summit cairn. This had taken 90min from where I'd left my bike. I got some kit from my bag, played "ring a ring a rosie" round the cairn as my gloves were caught in some weird vortex. It was sideways freezing rain and hail again and visibility was 10-15m. I packed my kit away and heading down. 20m and it didn't look right. Compass out again. Wrong way D***HEAD. Back I go and down on to the correct route. The descent to the bike took 60 min and the skies cleared on my way down. Blue skies 30min too late. Hey ho.
I bad a bite to eat at the bike and then set off down the road, I expected the journey to take 20-30 min. After a few min I met the couple with the dog (Iain/Ian, Sue and Frank) and ended up chatting to them for the journey back to the car park. It turns out that Sue and co had worried about me when I hadn't appeared behind them on the descent and that Sue had thought of telling me that I was next to the summit when I met them earlier. She had decided not to as she didn't want to insult my intelligence! I'll not comment on that! Hehe. The journey back was pleasant and some good banter was had.
1730hrs saw the end of my trek (10 hours for the whole day but it should have been much less).

What it should have been rather than my 5.5 hours
Up- cycle 45min
Up- walk 90min
Down- walk 60min
Down- cycle- dunno (guess sub 30min) ended up chatting on return cycle.

The theme tune for my day

Lets hope normal service is resumed next time!
Last edited by Meatball on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Re: If you can't be good, be lucky!

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Second attempt at this report, site crashed the first time.
Paul W, is the ascent total for these single hills correct?
Meatball

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Great read Meatball :lol: . It is amazing some of the daft things we can do on a hill :roll: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:36 pm

och well done for getting them both done in a day :thumbup:
I did my usual weekend bothying in 2 foot deep snow to bag em :lol:
I would of loved to of been there to see you tunble off your bike into the burn.. Not that I want to see anyone coming to any harm, it just sounded so comedy :wink:

On another note, have they fixed the door to the bothy yet?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 pm

basscadet wrote:On another note, have they fixed the door to the bothy yet?

Ermm...there was a door on it, I think, I was too busy whooshing past, then splashing!
Meatball

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

what is it about these hills?! ..when i did beinn dearg earlier this year i was grimmacing and struggling on the cycle out ..what kept me going was the thought of the free wheel on the way back ......
...only after climbong the hill i came back to my bike to find a total flat tyre ....and the law of sod strikes again ...the only time i didnt take a pump ....gggggrrr!! !! ...these hills must be unlucky ay?!
well done on surviving! :)
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Ah, my frame bag was well packed. Just a brain left at home!
It was an experiment, I suppose, one which I may add to next week in a similar area...if anyone wants to babysit me? haha
Meatball

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Think Alice might be right, Beinn Dearg is jinxed. I cycled up then walked in clag eventually finding the summit before returning, but not the way i summited hence coming back down minus a bike. Eventually got the bike back 3 months later, retrieved by the Estate :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Haha, makes me feel a bit better!
Meatball

Postby 625bhp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Your report made good reading, but you didn't fess up to headplanting to us! Thanks for your company and great craic on the way out! Frank was shattered - crashed out in front of the fire. Hope to catch up with you again on the hills!
625bhp
Munro compleatist

Munros:101   Corbetts:100
Donalds:4

Postby Meatball » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Haha, quality username. Is that the bhp with new s/c?
Ah, I didn't realise I'd omitted that bit!
Let me know when your double compleation is!
Are you getting out again before your holiday?
Meatball

Postby SMRussell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am

:lol: Character building, dignity reducing. Starting to consider avoiding this one!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby PeteR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I was up on Beinn Dearg on Sunday and had great views :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully will get round to posting a quick report soon and you can all see what you missed :D :lol:

I saw that zig-zag path you ventured on too and thought myself it was the route up. For once in my life though I actually checked my map before making a decision on which way to go :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

well done meatball :clap: :clap:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Meatball » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm

PeteR, well done on checking! Lol. I'll look out for the report!
Cheers Ron! When are you out next?
Meatball

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland