walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fitness Test, Peat-HAG Hell, Gaiters a Must!

Fitness Test, Peat-HAG Hell, Gaiters a Must!

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 04/10/2012

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 971m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Early start, left Lay-by 88 by 0715hrs, looks like another good day ahead, forecast good, dry,little wind and mountains clear of cloud or mist :D .With a light pack it was off up the land rover track, with the entry point being used by Balfour Beattie contractors, progressing the proposed pylon scheme :thumbdown:
1.JPG
Entrance to track from A9, being usedby contractors
1.JPG
Entrance to track from A9, being usedby contractors
2.JPG
Track up hillside to now disused quarry
3.JPG
Looking back from track to Dalwhinnie
4.JPG
Ben Alder has a light covering of snow, these hills have none, only a slight ground frost with some of the smaller pools of water frozen over
5.JPG
Passing through the old quarry area
6.JPG
Just beyond the quarry the track forks, right to A' Bhuidheanach Bheag and left to Carn na Cairn. Today was to be a checkout for my fitness level, making good time, with the track to A' Bhuidheanach pretty good for walking swiftly
7.JPG
Sunrise, yes it's going to be a fine day. The track heading for A' Bhuidheanach at 879m
8.JPG
Good track with some undulations
9.JPG
A' Bhuidheanach at 879m
10.JPG
Heading South to the summit of first munro, some muddy sections
11.JPG
Trig point at munro A' Bhuidheanach 936m in 1h45mins
12.JPG
Peat-hags lie ahead in abundance. I am following (foggieclimber) advise and picking up this one time munro now demoted to a top, as I missed it out the last time I did these hills. This added top journey was quite a slog through a bit of a quagmire of peat-hags.
13.JPG
On the journey to the top if you look west you can see Loch Garry
14.JPG
The top of Glas Mheall Mor now only a top is flat and mossy. Reached in 2h15m
15.JPG
Now the interesting bit begins, more really churned up peat-hags. I decided not to head straight for the track I had come, but to head NW and explore a bit. As you can see by my route map it made the return journey more interesting with three burn crossings
16.JPG
In the distance Carn na Cairn, where I was headed
17.JPG
One of the river crossings at Cama Choire
18.JPG
Looking East down Cama Choire
19.JPG
Herd of dear nearby on the slopes of Meall Odhar Mor
20.JPG
Inquisitive?
21.JPG
At the Cairn on the top of Carn an Cairn 3h45m, with Meall Chuaich in the distance (looking North East)
22.JPG
Seeing I was fed up to the backteeth of peat-hags I decided there was only one way back to the car, yep I stuck to the track!
23.JPG
Dalwhinnie Distillery, now there's a good way to finish. No stops for a brew but did have a chat with a couple of walkers when I was on my way down. Would suggest maybe leave these hills for a nice dry frosty morning, so that all the peat-hags are hardened, much less messy on the pants, even with gaiters they were some mess!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland