walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond Umpteenth Time

Ben Lomond Umpteenth Time

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 28/11/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first go at doing a report, hope it goes ok.
I had not been out on the hills for about six weeks because of knee pains and then the poor weather in November so with the weather forecast looking good for Saturday, I decide to do Ben Lomond as it is only a 30 minute drive from my home, and I walk up it when I have not been on the hills for a while to ease the legs back into action.

I arrived at the car park in Rowardennan at 10am and set off about 10.15am up the usual path of the south ridge through the forest though that has been chopped down a fair bit this past two years. On gaining height the views all around were excellent with the Cobbler in the distance toped off with snow and low lying mist to the north east and across the loch.
28112009_001.jpg

28112009_004.jpg

I forgot to take my camera, though because I have done the Ben numerous times I usually do not bother but with the great views all round, I was annoyed with myself until I remembered that I had my mobile with a camera.
28112009_006.jpg

28112009_003.jpg

On reaching the level section higher up the summit ridge came into view and it looked as if it had a dusting snow, though I was to discover later that it was deeper than it appeared and it was a good 6-8" deep in places and where there was drifting it was up to my knee when I stepped off the path.
28112009_007.jpg

28112009_009.jpg

On reaching the summit the views were excellent and took photos of the Northern Coire and summit ridge then my battery packed in on the mobile. I saw the the Ben in a different light with the snow, good views and no wind. Headed back down the same route that ascended and was glad that I got out for a few hours on the hill.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Ben Lomond Umpteenth Time

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Looks like a fine day out ~ with excellent photos for a mobile phone.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland