walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach - AlanS finds a new vocation as a guide

Aonach Eagach - AlanS finds a new vocation as a guide

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 07/10/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1137m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Sunday 7 October 2012
Time taken: 6.5hrs
Distance: 8km
Ascent: 1,137m

Back in June 2011, AlanS, Gammy, Stretch & co completed the Aonach Eagach. However, JB [likes a beer] couldn’t make it that day and AlanS noted that he planned to go back at some point with JB. In my comment on Alan’s WR, I said I’d also be interested if he’d be OK with my tagging along. Thought nothing further of it until, out of the blue early last month, Alan PM’d me to say he was going back up on Sunday 7 October and would I like to go ? :?: :eh: :thumbup:

My thanks to Alan for setting up this trip and for his excellent help and guidance throughout the day – I certainly couldn’t have done this on my own and was very glad he was with us.

Left Glasgow a little later than normal – great weather and some nice views driving over Rannoch Moor on the approach to Glencoe.

A little HDR on Stob Dearg

Parked up at the Achnambeithach car park just west of Loch Achtriochtan as this would be our planned end point. Alan arrived shortly afterwards with SavageAlice and we drove to the wee car park just west of Allt-na-Ruigh where we met up with JB and Springer. Alan had suggested beforehand taking smaller rucksacks if possible so that they didn’t get in the way on the walk – turned out to be good advice !

All set and the five of us headed for the track which leads initially up to the side of the Allt Ruigh before going NW towards Am Bodach. With little wind and the sun rising further it was getting quite warm and layers were soon shed. We weren’t in a hurry and took our time meeting quite a lot of other walkers on the way.

Arrived at Am Bodach and started to get glimpses of what was to come for the rest of the day.

After a break we headed off towards Meall Dearg – good views of The Chancellor but none of us was for heading down to it. :shock:

Further views on the way

Not long before we encountered the first tricky downclimb but we very quickly established a pattern for the rest of the walk. Our guide, Alan, would go in the lead and we would then follow – each of us in turn helping the person behind to find hand and footholds as we proceeded.

Unfortunately the good weather didn’t look as though it would stay – not long before we were in the clag. On some sections this was probably a good thing as it partially hid the drops from view. That said, apart from a very slight amount of drizzle, the rain stayed off. Apart from the odd slippery patch here and there, we found the rock dry and grippable.

Walked up to the summit of Meall Dearg from where the “fun” really started.

There now followed a series of downclimbs, upscrambles, backside sliding and leg stretching manoeuvres on the way from Meall Dearg to Stob Coire Leith. I have to admit to learning a whole new set of words and meanings on this stretch. I used to think that chutes were bright coloured plastic things for sliding down, slabs were concrete blocks for the garden, pinnacles were found on roofs beside spires and chimneys allowed for the extraction of smoke..... :?

There was one point where I thought briefly about trying the bypass path. However, as everyone else was going up, I just decided that was the best bet – as before, it turned out not to be as bad as it looked.

After a stop for lunch part way across, we arrived at Stob Coire Leith from where it was a relatively straightforward traverse to get to the second munro of the day, Sgorr nam Fiannaidh.

Stopped here for more food and a group photo.

We then headed more or less due south initially down some fairly steep scree. Alan had assured us it would be quicker than going west towards the Pap of Glencoe track. Granted the quadriceps got a good stretch but it was actually an enjoyable way to descend as we half slid, half walked through the scree – as long as we remembered not to fall over (ice axes may have been useful as brakes.... :wink: ).

Back down at the roadside we got to the car in the nearby car park. Looking back, I think I’d built this up to be very difficult and had been quite worried about it. It actually turned out to be not as bad as I’d thought and was a very enjoyable day – made all the more so by the great company and Alan’s expert guidance. Would I do it again he asked me at the end of the day……”perhaps.....but I’d have to have a long think about it”, I replied.

AonachEagach 7oct2012 activelog track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by rockhopper on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Aonach Eagach - AlanS finds a new vocation as a guide

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm

great report Neil :) :clap:
aching.com today ..but soo worth it!
keep having flashbacks today! :)
could u email me some of those pics? will pm you my address :)
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Frigate » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Good report and excellent pictures, brought it all back from my trip over in July 2005, a scorcher of a day. The descent straight down toward the MR base is a knee buster.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Great report Rockhopper, stunning photos throughout a wonderful hike. Such great views all the way along there but even in the chimneys you got some cracking shots, a real day to remember :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 am

Always a fun day out :lol: Doubt if anyone could tire of the views from the Ridge as you trundle along- no matter the conditions :) Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 am

Some vey nice photos RH , looks like you all enjoyed the adventure :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby JB likes a beer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 am

Hi rockhopper, excellent report ,your pictures are just a bit better than my ones :lol: ,thanks for the wee dram at the end certainly warmed me up :D , feel like i have been boxing today though i am sore in places i didnt know could get sore :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby quoman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 am

Hi rockhopper,
Excellent stuff and some quality photo's you wrote Looking back, I think I’d built this up to be very difficult and had been quite worried about it. It actually turned out to be not as bad as I’d thought and was a very enjoyable day I was the same as you.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Lenore » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

Awesome, rockhopper!! What a day, and what a ridge. Exciting report and great pictures.

I've never been to Scotland in fall and reports like yours being posted at the moment make me realize there's a whole range of colors I've never seen. Gorgeous! Need to remedy that lack of experience...
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am

Wow the colours are amazing specially the first picture you took...great effort on the ridge and the cloud pictures look great as well!! Uhh think I need to do that one again soon...PS loved the new words bit!! :D :D

I have to admit to learning a whole new set of words and meanings on this stretch. I used to think that chutes were bright coloured plastic things for sliding down, slabs were concrete blocks for the garden, pinnacles were found on roofs beside spires and chimneys allowed for the extraction of smoke..... :?
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Meatball » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Cracking effort and pictures (I stole one!)!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Fine report & pictures"rockhopper"glad you enjoyed your day.

PS.Alan S as a guide :lol: :lol: :lol: seen him get lost turning out his street. :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Stunning photos rockhopper :D Lovely autumn colours :D

I'm so glad I can look at this ridge and now know I've done it :D You all look like you has a fantastic day too :D A great sense of achievement getting from one side to the other.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby 147cjl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 pm

looks an amazing day out, the colours in the pictures of the Buachaille are stunning, never seen it like that before
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby thehawk_3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Well Rockhopper what can I say, you have done it again, great TR your photographs are stunning. I am looking forward to following in your footsteps, when the time is right. Keep up the good work and it won;t be long till you compleat.

Robert
thehawk_3
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland