walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee run to the Ledi

Wee run to the Ledi

Postby jwramsay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 am

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 07/10/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 760m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday 7th October 2012 I set off early in the morning to catch the sunrise on the top of the Campsie Hills above Kilsyth. The view over to Grangemouth was rather special:

Grangemouth with ForthBridges in distance:

After this, I headed to Stirling castle to get some photos in the early morning light:

Stirling Castle:

Love the name of this church : Holy Rude:

It was then time to hit the A84 towards Ben Ledi. First stop Doune castle:

Then it was on to the target for today - Ben Ledi. Stopping off at the home of Hamish The Highland Cow (19 years old) to get a snap of the intended corbett:

Hamish:

Ben Ledi from Trossachs Weaving Mill:

I pulled in off the A84 at the sign which points to "Strathyre Forest Cabins" as per the Walkhighlands map. There was not a space to be had, so I parked on the Double yellows just after the bridge! The walk begins through the pine forest, quite a steep ascent!

Pine forest path:

In no time at all you are in the open where you cross the forestry track and continue up almost a set of stairs (memories of Lochnagar's ladder). After this you cross the burn, so last chance to fill your water bottle!

A last look back to Loch Lubnaig before hitting the turn:

Then it gets pretty steep until you reach the snout of the mountain whence Loch Venacher comes into view.

The views open up really nicely, one side you have Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps, the Loch Lubnaig with Stuc A Chroin and Ben Vorlich backed by Ben Lawers and his range. The visibility was that good that the snow topped Cairngorms were visible to the right of Ben Lawers. The opposite direction had the Isle Of Arran and Ailsa Craig visible.

Jim atop Ben Ledi:

Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps:

Lawers Range:

Shafts of Light with Arran distant:

The Arrochar Alps (Cobbler left):

Visibility excellent - snow topped Cairngorms from Ben Ledi:

Stobinian and Ben More:

The views down to Callander below with Dumyat behind and the Firth Of Forth are excellent. To the South we have Dumgoyne at the end of the Fintry Hills.

Dumgoyne:

Callander:

Callendar with Dumyat in distance:

Some ravens appeared to eat picnic remainders, so I tried to get a few snaps of them.

Raven:

Ravens:

Rather than making it a circular route and continuing on, I retraced my steps.

I then drove to Stirling again and managed to get a few nightshots in.

Stirling Castle by night:

Church of the Holy Rude by night:

The Wallace Monument by night:

A big HELLO to the characters I met on Ben Ledi - The Mad Welshman in the party of 2 men and 2 women who has climbed almost all of the hills in Scotland, and the woman with the Dragon's Den idea to create an App that you can point at those distant hills and the App will tell you the name of said hill!

A great day out on a superb autumnal day.

Very short video as my camcorder is getting repaired, this is from my tripod mounted DSLR:

Last edited by jwramsay on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Wee run to the Ledi

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 am

You packed a fair amount into your day :)
Have only been on Ledi once- via the Brig o' Turk route, one of the worst days out on a hill, torrential rain and sleet from the start to the end via Ben Vane to the Kingshouse where the Club bus was waiting. So bad only 4 of us did the planned walk. Still enjoyed it though, any walk in bad weather is now known as a right 'Ledi'.
Glad you had a better day for it, it is on the list of dog walks I have in the scheme of things :wink: I have one of those heads there is a lot going on in, but we will eventually get round to it :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Wilco de Jonge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Very nice pictures Jim. :clap: Your investment in this terrific Nikon surely pays off. And yes, you must have had the tripod with you!
By the way, you do seem to know the 19 yrs old bovine very well?
Furthermore, this Dutch lowlander now knows for sure when the snow starts to fall on 'his' beloved Ben Lawers range and the Tarmachan ridge too :shock: Should be melting by the time I start my next run of bagging (april, may)!
Wilco de Jonge
Munro compleatist

Munros:114   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 pm

The quality of light at this time of year coupled with the autumnal colours and clear air can be excellent and early Sunday past must rank with some of the best of them. Your pictures really bring out the quality of light - very enjoyable - cheers :)

PS The trig point you're leaning on looks a bit the worse for wear - I have a photo from the same angle and it didn't have a crack in it 25 years ago :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jwramsay » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am

Rockhopper - It wisnae me honest! Yeah light was just fantastic on Sunday morning!
Wilco - There is a wee plaque tells you all you need to know about the coo. And yes, loving the D800
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland