walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackhope Scar

Blackhope Scar

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 am

Fionas included on this walk: Blackhope Scar

Donalds included on this walk: Blackhope Scar

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 378m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Trig point.JPG
View to Pentlands and Firth of Forth
A late start from Edinburgh on a beautiful clear sunny day - I expected to find the carpark (at GR 294527) full - but only one other car. I followed the tarmac road through the farm and then the rough track towards South Esk valley, relieved I had no dog with me (grazing cattle watched me curiously but didn't stir). The track leads on past a cottage on the right then, on the left, the ruins of the peel tower of Hirendean Castle above an unusual 20th century sheep stell.
The track continues south along the River South Esk, climbing very gradually until a left hand fork (just before a brick-built shepherds hut) leads up The Kipps. Where the track began a series of zig-zags, I struck off east at the first 'zig' across rough heather and sphagnum to the boundary fence. Over the next 1.8 km I understood why Pentlands carparks may be full - and mine at Gladhouse Reservoir had been empty! The going was now slow - very wet underfoot, a mixture of sphagnum, peat and heather. Following ATV tracks parallel to the fence, passing a line of well-maintained (and well used) grouse butts, then crossing to the north side of the boundary fence in search of easier ground, I finally gained the trig point.
A great viewpoint - north-west to the Pentlands, Edinburgh, across the Forth to Fife and east to North Berwick Law. To the south, the plateau of the Moorfoots is dotted with wind turbines, with the Cheviot and Tinto Hill in the distance.
Not wishing to face the peat bogs again, instead following sheep tracks and the occasional ATV track, I walked down to rejoin the main track just north of a second shepherds hut at GR 297486. The final walk down the valley was most enjoyable in the autumn sunshine. Back to the carpark beside the still waters of Glencorse Reservoir, and a final glance at the sheep pastures on the plateau of the Moorfoots.
Attachments
Moorfoots from carpark.JPG
Moorfoots from the carpark
South Esk valley.JPG
Autumn light in the South Esk valley
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland