walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 06/06/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1369m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Today Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’ Chroin were on the menu. I had meant to climb them last year, but due to gale force winds I had lost out on one bagging day. The weather for today didn’t look too clever either: low cloud, drizzle and a stiff breeze. Nevertheless I was looking forward to trying my hand at the prow of Stuc a’ Chroin.
I parked in a lay-by a bit before the humpback bridge over the Ardvorlich burn. A couple of midges initially showed some interest in me, but as soon as I got walking they couldn’t be bothered anymore.
Loch Earn was very peaceful this morning. :D

2 Loch Earn in the mist.JPG
Loch Earn in the mist

And the entrance to the hills was very grand indeed.

3 Start of the walk.JPG
Start of the walk

The path is very well signposted and keeps you away from Ardvorlich House.
Paid attention to the notice…

4 Sign.JPG
Sign

… and continued along the track, which steadily goes uphill through and past some deciduous woods, with the lovely rushing sounds of the Ardvorlich burn in the background.

5 Looking back on ascent path.JPG
Looking back along the track to Loch Earn

At the dam the track becomes a well engineered path. It was here that I met the first and last walkers of the day, who were already on their way back. They said it had been horrible weather up there. Ah well, at least that was in tune with what had been forecast. No expectations shattered here!
Progress on the path was quick and soon I was on the ridge and in the clouds. The last bit of the path is quite steep and gravely, but it brings you straight to the trig point. I walked a bit further to the cairn for the summit pic and a sandwich, but alas it was equally windy and foggy there.

6 summit Ben Vorlich.JPG
Summit Ben Vorlich

Then quickly got going again, past the trig point and bearing SW down the steep and lumpy ridge. The cloud had lifted a bit, so it didn’t take too long to get some views again. On my way to the bealach the outlook on Stuc a’ Chroin’s prow changed from hidden in mist to clearly visible. Excellent! Boy, it was looking inviting! :D

7 Stuc a Chroin in the mist.JPG
Stuc a' Chroin in the cloud

8 Stuc a Chroin with mist clearing.JPG
Cloud clearing

9 The prow of Stuc a Chroin.JPG
The prow unveiled

But the nearer I got to the bealach, the more it became apparent that the wind might throw a spanner in the works. At the bealach it was crunch time, go for the prow or strike off to the right for the bypass path. Shall I, shan’t I….
With regret I decided to leave the prow for another time. I didn’t like the wind at all. It was quite gusty and I figured I could do without it tugging at me on the scramble. So dropping down WSW for the alternative ascent. It looked steep.

10 View towards the ascent path.JPG
Alternative ascent, much steeper than it looks in the picture

And it was steep. You will need your hands at one point, so make sure to stow away your walking poles. From here I had a good view of the rocky prow. No pictures as my hands were elsewhere occupied. It surely looked amazing. A little devil on my shoulder whispered ‘You could have been up there!’.
The prow had been a perfect wind shield so far. Once on the ridge the wind was back and got stronger the higher up I got. Oh, and a drizzle had started. Oh, and it was also rather cold. So, to say that it was lovely at the summit would be a bit beside the truth. Nevertheless, I look very happy in the summit picture I took, which I shall not post as it shows me with a huge drip hanging off my sron (from the drizzle). :lol:

11 Summit Stuc a Chroin.JPG
Summit Stuc a' Chroin

After a sandwich I retraced my steps back down the ridge. A cairn marks the spot where the alternative descent starts, just in case I had forgotten.

13 Cairn marking descent path from bealach.JPG
Cairn marking descent path from bealach

The way down seemed easier than the way up. From the descent I had spotted the path that contours the north-west ridge of Ben Vorlich. So that’s where I headed for. The ascent up this ridge was a weird experience. I am used to gravity pulling me to a side on a transverse slope. But here the pull was from the side backwards, which led to some ‘balance issues’ on the muddy path. Soon this was all over when I reached the north-west ridge and from there the path also improved. The weather on this side of the hill was much more agreeable. The cloud had thinned and the view towards Loch Earn was not as gloomy as it had been in the morning.

14 The good path down.JPG
The good path down

It didn’t take long to get back to the car. I had enjoyed the day out and had a good reason to return to Stuc a’ Chroin. :D
Last edited by Paula Hubens on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paula Hubens

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin

Postby 147cjl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm

2 great hills shame about the weather, I also need to revisit to do the prow sometime, as I left it alone in similar conditions
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby McGuinness » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:12 pm

nice 1 been thinking about these two next seems the route is well marked
McGuinness

Munros:8   Corbetts:1

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm

when you come so far it's a pity to have grim weather - but always worth getting out I think! Are you camping for your whole holiday?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Nice one Paula... good walk report that I notice was done in the middle of flaming June.
We left this walk till the end of September...... so here's a pic of the prow from mr smug

The Prow - SaC.jpg
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks for the comments 147cjl and McGuinness!
I hope we all get some good weather when (re-)attempting it! :D

mrssanta wrote:when you come so far it's a pity to have grim weather - but always worth getting out I think! Are you camping for your whole holiday?

Thanks MrsSanta, definitely worth getting out. And I now have a good reason to return! :D
The camping in Glen Lochay was just a one off for this holiday. I'm not that tough :lol:

Scotjamie wrote:Nice one Paula... good walk report that I notice was done in the middle of flaming June.
We left this walk till the end of September...... so here's a pic of the prow from mr smug

Very smug indeed! :lol: But what a stunning picture! 8)
Paula Hubens

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland