walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Supper with Challum

Supper with Challum

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 07/06/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19.7 km

Ascent: 1429m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Creag_Mor and Beinn Heasgarnich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Today was a day for another at-home-brewed experiment: combine Creag Mhor, Beinn Heasgarnich and Ben Challum, wild camp and continue on to Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas the next day.
Driving up the minor road from Killin I passed the sign that marks the start of the route up Meall Ghaordaidh. For a fleeting moment I was confused and thought I had completely overlooked a munro in Glen Lochay, only to realise a second later that it was Meall Ghaordaidh which I had already climbed from Glen Lyon a few days earlier. Doh! :lol:

There is a big car park a kilometer or so before Kenknock with a sign informing walkers that there is no more parking further up the glen. Just as I was manhandling my heavy rucksack onto my back another car pulled over and parked. After exchanging good mornings with the driver I was off.

Progress along the road/ track was good. After a few kilometers the driver of the car caught me up. He was also doing Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich today. So we walked up the glen together, chatting all the way. This was very pleasant and made the kilometers pass fast. Just past Batavaime he headed up the track to the right for Creag Mhor, whereas I turned left to find a spot to pitch my tent and dump the stuff I didn’t need on the hill. I found a nice flat piece of ground in between the river Lochay and the track. With the tent ready and organised for later when I would return from the hills tired and hungry, I set off to resume the route up to the dam.
From the dam there seemed to be no single best way up the ridge to Sron nan Eun. I walked west, found a (steep) way up through the crags and then continued NW where I soon picked up a good path along the fine ridge.

1 Glen Lochay from Forest of Mamlorn.JPG
View back to Glen Lochay from just above the dam

2 Beinn nan Imirean from Forest of Mamlorn.JPG
Beinn nan Imirean from Forest of Mamlorn

3 On the ridge Creag Mhor hiding in the mist.JPG
On the ridge, Creag Mhor hiding in the mist

At the start of the walk, the sun had made a few attempts to break through and it had been warm and muggy. By now, the views back to Glen Lochay were murky, the wind had picked up and I was nearing the cloud base.

4 Ascent up Creag Mhor.JPG
Ascent up Creag Mhor

As the ridge is well defined there were no problems with route finding in the mist. Visibility on the summit was very poor, however my GPS confirmed I was on the summit and there were no other cairns around in a radius of 10 meters.

5 Summit Creag Mhor.JPG
Summit Creag Mhor

After a sandwich I carefully headed down west, then north west and finally northeast avoiding the crags on Creag Mhor’s north slope, with the much appreciated help of the GPS.
Below the cloud base the gully ridden flank of Beinn Heasgarnaich’s north ridge became visible, looking very fine. :D

6 Beinn Heasgarnich.JPG
Beinn Heasgarnich

Avoided the boggy bealach by traversing to the northwest of it. As I couldn’t make out a path for the climb up to Sron Tairbh, I opted for the full frontal attack. Lo and behold soon a path appeared. It twist and turns so the ascent is fun and not too steep. On the way up I caught some views of Loch Lyon, Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a’ Creachain. The boggy bealach was looking very fine from a distance.

9 View towards Beinn a' Chreachain.JPG
Loch Lyon, Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a' Creachain

8 View back towards boggy bealach from ascent path up Beinn Heasgarnich.JPG
Looking back at boggy bealach

The continuation from Sron Tairbh to Stob an Fhir-Bhogha was easy, despite there being little visibility. It was only when I got to the latter that the wind made its presence felt. In short, I got blown on to Beinn Heasgarnich! It was wonderful, striding fast without effort. I enjoyed the free ride while it lasted, knowing I would have to face the wind head on on the way back.

10 Summit Beinn Heasgarnich.JPG
Summit Beinn Heasgarnich

There was no sheltering from the wind at the summit cairn. I quickly snapped a picture, without bothering to get the frog out, crammed a sandwich in my mouth and was off again. With the compass set for the return route, the map would not have to come out. It would probably have flown away anyway. Let the battle against the wind commence….
Well, it was interesting on the way back. The wind was howling, playing tricks with my ears. Does anyone else hear strange noises in strong winds? Maybe it is the brain, trying to make sense of the constant non descript sounds.
The frontal-side wind turned my walking poles into a serious trip hazard. Added to this, it was hard to keep on course, let alone make progress. So I started walking east, after checking on the map that it was safe to do so, to get off the ridge and out of the wind. The difference this made! No more howling, pushing and tossing. I set a new course. After a while visibility improved. There was an area of peat bog to be dealt with, but it wasn’t too bad. Out of the wind and being able to see ahead, the place had become a lot more friendly and I quite enjoyed finding a way through.

All in all, the descent back to the track took much longer than I thought it would. On the map it is around 3 kilometers. In reality it must have been more, with all the meandering I did.
Back on the track I decided to leave Ben Challum for another time. There would be enough daylight left, but the weather wasn’t getting any better. Also the intense navigating in the cloud and wind had taken it out of me; I was tired.

It was pretty miserable as I sat outside my tent, being a human shield for the stove, with the wind hurtling up the glen and lashing the rain at me. It got a bit cold in the end, but hot food was on the way.

11 Cooking with Callum.JPG
Preparing supper with Challum (well really spot height 864)

Sat in the tent porch, I enjoyed the food and the view of Ben Challum. It was quite special being out there, on my own amidst the elements. The river was rushing, my tent was flapping, clouds were moving fast. Panta rhei, and Ben Challum … was just there. A seemingly constant in an ever changing world. Very calming and humbling. This hill would not go anywhere anytime soon.

After supper, there was just one more thing to do: take a voluntary cold shower in the river. Brrr!

Fresh as a daisy, comfortably snuggled up in my sleeping bag, I was almost falling asleep, when the wind gave some firm tugs at the tent. O dear, would the tent pegs hold? Cue a short internal struggle, but the short term cost of getting out of the tent was outweighed by the benefit of a long night’s uninterrupted sleep. So, with the pegs checked I could finally doze off.
Last edited by Paula Hubens on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paula Hubens

Re: Supper with Challum

Postby luibnaclach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 pm

:) brilliant report :)

dont think theres anyone who has ever walked alone on the hills, windy or not, hasnt heard "things"
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Postby JonAksel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Nice series of reports really. And great company for supper. What was on the menu?
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Great TR once again Paula.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Challenging conditions Paula - well done ! Know what you mean about the tent in wind - always seems to sound so much worse than it actually is 8)

Paula Hubens wrote:From the dam there seemed to be no single best way up the ridge to Sron nan Eun. I walked west, found a (steep) way up through the crags and then continued NW where I soon picked up a good path along the fine ridge.
I can remember going clockwise so had to descend via Sron nan Eun and had an equally hard time trying to find a way through the crags - when I did though it seems such an obvious way to go but never seems that way at the time :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm sure I'd rather go grubby than take a cold shower in the river on a day like that. you're tough!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Thank you for the comments! :D

luibnaclach wrote:dont think theres anyone who has ever walked alone on the hills, windy or not, hasnt heard "things"

Rushing water, sheep, voices, have heard it all in the wind. But a typewriter?! :lol:

JonAksel wrote:What was on the menu?

Pasta with tomato sauce and parmasan. Very simple and it tasted great!

gammy leg walker wrote:Great TR once again Paula.

Thanks GLW!

rockhopper wrote:Challenging conditions Paula - well done !

Thank you Rockhopper, they were and I was very tired. But good for confidence in own skills and decision making. :D

mrssanta wrote:I'm sure I'd rather go grubby than take a cold shower in the river on a day like that. you're tough!

Nah, I had been putting it off and off!
Paula Hubens

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland