walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

by Graeme D » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Turin Hill

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 1.1 hours

Distance: 4.8 km

Ascent: 195m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Avoiding the Turin shroud.

Postby Norman_Grieve » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

Herebe a link tae a rather different approach tae this wee hill - in mair ways than wan... :wink:

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8944
Norman_Grieve

Re: Bad blood and a shroud of ill-feeling on Turin Hill

Postby hills » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Oh dear, this hill is getting a reputation as a last stand of the GOML's (get off my land). For that reason I have avoided it so far, the cattle I can get around, but Goml venom isnt nice... :?
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

RTC wrote: The farmer with the chain saw glared at me. He had a face like a bulldog licking p*** off a nettle. I decided to take the initiative and asked him if it was OK for me to walk this way. "Depends where you are going" he said. "Up the hill" I said. "Its not suitable because we have a lot of stock" he said. I pointed out that there was not a single farm animal in sight. - There was a lot of snow about. He then agreed to let me continue. It was not a pleasant experience. I'll not be back.

He sounds like my man - he referred to his "stock" at a couple of points too, and as for the description of his face, it's him down to a T.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby sloosh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 pm

The farmer got **** off at you because his sheep are ready to lamb and undue stress can cause spontaneous abortion, even this late. That's why he was shouting at you to get over the ******* fence. Just saying...
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Nicky62 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 am

Great report....... made me laugh out loud. I feel the need to bag this hill now, together with a large group of like minded walkers and all with tin hats, of course ! :)
Nicky62
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:118
Fionas:14   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm

I do feel a bit sorry for farmers. I read recently that they had started a messaging service to each other, and the top topic, due to isolation, is mental health issues. It doesn't surprise me if one or two of them become a bit paranoid (not that this guy is necessarily being so). It is a well known side effect of isloation. We once had to go into Raigmore when husband had tripped in a river and we thought he had broken a collarbone. It was well past midnight by the time he was seen, as a farmer had tried to top himself, and then tried to discharge himself with arms full of drips etc. and it took all the staff to cope with him.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CatoTheYounger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:50 pm

:lol: So funny reading this just now, 4 years later its still a recurring issue.

Met this guy today while attempting to bag Turin Hill from the north. This is one of those Sub-2000s they don't want anyone near and so hinder any attempt with electric fencing, crazy stalker cows and zero parking to speak of. Its best to get it climbed and then be happy you never have to return to it and put up with the BS, which is a disappointment because it is a nice hill :(

My encounter with the infamous GOML Farmer on Turin hill. :)

Half way back down and heading through fences a bald man with a rather uncompromising face appeared, wading through the morass on his quid bike, he stopped in front of me. I made no attempt to not be seen (why should I? My intentions where perfectly innocent) and said cheerfully, "hello, sir!", "Can I help you?" he said rather scornfully and I could infer annoyance but I couldn't have cared less. He seemed rather confused as to how I got there and where I intended to go, he said he was worried about the "beasts" trampling me and I explained that I was nowhere near the beasts and that he should not worry. I get the impression he see's the whole hill bagger's v farmers, situation, as a test of wills rather than compromising and providing a non-intrusive path up the hill for daft baggers like myself who otherwise would have no business being there, after all I'm not interested in the farm in the slightest I just want to get the hill bagged and get out the farmers way.

Oh well... I really do Feel sorry for Sub-2000 baggers, they put up with so much BS just to get these wee hill's climbed sometimes, but no matter what, we get them done.

Great report, very funny.
CatoTheYounger
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:82
Fionas:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:183   Islands:2

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 pm

CatoTheYounger wrote: a bald man with a rather uncompromising face appeared

It's uncanny! This guy is becoming a living legend in the world of Nimbyism. :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:14 pm

Graeme D wrote:
CatoTheYounger wrote: a bald man with a rather uncompromising face appeared

It's uncanny! This guy is becoming a living legend in the world of Nimbyism. :roll:

I think he is more of a GOML than a NIMBY. Husband and I psyched ourselves up to bag a notorious Marilyn whose name I have now forgotten, and were strangely disappointed to find it had changed hands and WALKERS WELCOME notices were everywhere.
We have also booked a cottage in the grounds of another (in England) just so we could get up "their" hill, only to be told we mustn't go there as it would disturb the pheasants. Pheasants seemed not to mind at 5 a.m. however. It's the military ones I am more concerned about, as I really don't want to be shot, and know that my next of kin would have no come-back as they are NEVER in the wrong. Thank heavens they are few and far between, and I think , with Mickle Fell done a few weeks ago, we have now done them all. One of the islands off Lewis is now a bit problematical, as the locals with boats don't necessarily want to get on the wrong side of someone they have to live with by dumping us off to climb them, whatever the access laws say, and it has just changed hands.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Outnaboot » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:57 pm

Hi. As far as I'm aware the right of way up Turin hill is Via the Weymess (don't quote me on that)
The farmer up Turin hill Mr Jolly Snr who has a Masters in misery and his son Jolly Jnr. who is aspiring to be like his father. Neither of them know how to talk to normal everyday people. Think it's something to do with them never coming down from the hill to converse with normal people. Could be wrong. They speak to everyone like that, Work men, Postie, Neighbours, other farmers and Hill walkers, so don't take it personally.
As for your Dog being on a lead etc he needs reminding that his dogs run lose all the time. They went next door, into their neighbours garden, broke into the chickens run and killed them all. That's OK though because it's his hill, his air space, his oxygen and the neighbours privately owned houses. Its all his. The army used to use the hill as a shooting range until Jolly kicked them off.
Outnaboot
Wanderer

Postby SuperMillie » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:25 am

Maybe you could just book up his holiday cottage(s) with "Ramblers" (and dogs if permitted) then all head up and down HIS hill :crazy:
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland