walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 for 1 at Glenshee? That's [Carn] Aosda price!

3 for 1 at Glenshee? That's [Carn] Aosda price!

Postby Delice » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 16/09/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What to do on day 3 after 2 big days in the Cairngorms? Well, heading South for home so something on the way seems good, and there's a few around Glenshee I need to climb. Best to leave them til the snows, then combine a trip with friends who want to ski? But maybe heading up hill while being hurtled at by downhill skiers doesn't work too well? I opt for the quieter option - and a quick win for me. How about a whip up Carn Aosda, while my driving support rests in the cafe? A look at my munro book and I realise this is daft! If you're up there for one you may as well do the 3, so The Cairnwell - Carn a' Gheoidh - Carn Aosda it is then. 3 for the price of one! My weekend walking buddy Alex decides to go for the middle one while I do the 2 either side as well. I head straight up the Cairnwell, beside the chairlift.
P1010078a.jpg
2 hardy souls braving a Scottish Autumn on their deckchairs!
P1010080a.jpg
Looking down on the set for a mid west gunslinger movie?
Clouds race overhead in strong winds, with intermittent sharp showers but visibility still good. Jacket on: jacket off: jacket on: jacket off. I watch our car - the only one in the big sea of car park below - getting smaller and smaller as I climb until it finally disappears, past the top of the chairlift.
P1010083a.jpg
P1010084a.jpg
Summit of Cairnwell - probably never lonely up here in the Winter snow
Now the summit of Cairnwell comes into view, dotted with masts and other paraphernalia. The air of desolation is strong - it feels like some old mining set up - with broken fences, piles of rock, bits of rusty metal, and small cabins. Even so, the view beyond - across to Carn a Gheoidh, and to the South - is fine.
P1010086a.jpg
across the valley to Carn a Gheoidh only a stone's throw away
P1010088a.jpg
rounding onto the ridge leading to Carn a Gheoidh with Loch Vrotachan
P1010090a.jpg
Looking over my shoulder to the final destination - Carn Aosda
I want to catch up with Alex on nr 2 and I see him not far ahead as I round the col between the mountains. It 's easy to imagine all the buzz with skiers in the snow - I might be one of them later this year - but today we are alone. Nice view of Loch Vrotachan, then a pleasant up and down along the ridge to Carn a Gheoidh.
P1010092a.jpg
nice little boathouse or bothy at the end of the loch
P1010095a.jpg
The Cairnwell looking dramatic
P1010098a.jpg
Lochan beside the ridge onto Carn nan Sac
I catch up with Alex and we climb to the top together, just as the cloud lowers momentarily again. Near the meeting with the path from Carn nan Sac we find a funny little rock shelter - probably a natural outcrop but passing walkers must have added slabs to make a little wayside cubby-hole.
P1010101a.jpg
P1010102a.jpg
must be a natural outcrop but its been skilfully extended over time into a snug wee shelter - for a midget anyway!
P1010106a.jpg
On the top of Carn a Gheoidh - as the cloud drops down on us. Ain't that typical!
P1010109a.jpg
Zoom of Alex at the summit from the 2nd cairn. Could hardly see my way from one to the other
I do the detour for Carn nan Sac on the way back - well worth the extra distance for the views into the valley to the S and E.
P1010111a.jpg
Looking east from Carn nan Sac - am I looking at Craig Leacach?
P1010112a.jpg
the ridge back again
P1010114a.jpg
Big bunny catching the breeze
Catch up with Alex again, just as he is skirting above Vrotachan to head back down for the cafe. I carry on round to Carn Aosda. Not much of a climb here, and back to the industrial landscape of rusty metal structures and broken fences.
P1010120a.jpg
Carn Aosda - it's a pity about your choice of jewellery dear
A couple of other walkers making the trip up here. Blowy on top, and a good viewpoint on the flat stony summit, but not a place to linger today.
P1010124a.jpg
And nearly back to the beginning - Cairnwell almost in touching distance from the Asda checkout
The cafe is calling and I head down the Butcharts - practising my pretend parallel turns. Down at the bottom for a welcome coffee and some cake. Maybe not the most scenic, but possibly the quickest 3 munros I'll ever do.
Delice
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland