walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Odhar from Tyndrum

Beinn Odhar from Tyndrum

Postby U059361 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 09/10/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Participants: Joe
Weather: Sunny with odd cloud, little wind.
Route: West Highland Way, open hill, faint path.
Wildlife: Single red deer near Tyndrum.
Special Interest: old mine working two thirds way up hillside with bings of reject rock.

B_Odhar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked the car at tourist information centre car park in village of Tyndrum. Walked over the the bridge and joined the West Highland Way till it went over the railway line.
PA092388.JPG
The bridge over the railway, with Odhar behind.

Through a gate and left into a field. Across the burn and
straight up the slope beside the forest. From here did a rising traverse aiming for the northern end of the steep slope near the top.
Mini Tyndrum Stitch.jpg
the view from above the forest, doing traverse up the slope.

There is a break in it and it allows you to get up onto the ridge without a really steep climb. From there it was an easy walk round the top of the corrie climbing ever more steeply to reach a lochan, following what must be boundary markers. Just double wooden stobs in the ground, quite low down.
PA092393.JPG
The hill looks very different from the ridge

From the lochan it is the final climb up to the top. Easy this side as no scree. At the top, the views are fantastic all round.
Mini Loch Lyon Stitch.jpg
View over to Loch Lyon climbing up to lochan

Mini lochan Stitch.jpg
Lochan Choire Dhuibh with Ben More and Stob Binnein in distance

Mini Dorain Stitch.jpg
Glen Orchy and Beinn Dorain

After lunch, sitting sheltered, enjoying the sun, watched a military transport fly past, below me. This was the signal to get going again. Walked down the hill aiming for Tyndrum and working my way down where there is no scree. Reached another lochan. Continued on down to a bare rock face and went left towards the old mine workings. After a nosy round, headed back down to West Highland Way, over the bridge and back to car.
PA092408.JPG
Military stuff flying low

PA092424.JPG
remains of the mine

PA092426.JPG
Almost down and got buzzed by Hawk jet, then this helicopter passed by.

What a fantastic day for a walk. So glad I decided to go out, Isabel in Edinburgh. :D
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Beinn Odhar from Tyndrum

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Seems like a good day with some interesting diversions. Can see me attempting this too :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am

The hill that looks to me like a smaller version of Beinn Dorain from the A82. I'll be following your route soon so thanks for posting :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

This was the first part of a mult-day route starting late in the afternoon from Tyndrum that I set out on a few years back and had it not been for the fact that I needed to get a bit more ground under my belt before the first night, I would have been tempted to pitch the tent by that lochan.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby soulminer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Always looks tempting on the drive by :lol: Waiting for winter though :)
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland