walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brown Cow Hill from Braenaloin

Brown Cow Hill from Braenaloin

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Route description: Brown Cow Hill circuit, Cock Bridge

Corbetts included on this walk: Brown Cow Hill

Date walked: 07/10/2012

Time taken: 5.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a large parking area opposite Braenaloin where we set off from. The track is ideal for walking on but even better for bikes as its generally flat for most of it with very few inclines and although we enjoyed the walk in and out we had wished we'd brought the bikes. We continued along the track to just past the Lodge and Bothy, which were both padlocked and boarded up so couldn't get a look inside, to another fainter track that led up the hillside. This track soon ended and we continued the climb through heather and then boggy ground and onto the summit. On our return we headed straight down towards the Bothy, where we had planned to have our lunch but came down in between the Bothy and the Lodge where we found a nice wee spot by the stream for lunch. After lunch we got on the track and headed back out to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Oct 021.JPG
The start

Oct 022.JPG
The track in

Oct 023.JPG
Nice level track

Oct 024.JPG
View on walk in

Oct 026.JPG
Lodge & Bothy

Oct 027.JPG
Boarded up Bothy

Oct 030.JPG
Ben Avon

Oct 029.JPG
Morven

Oct 031.JPG
Summit view

Oct 034.JPG
Summit

Oct 035.JPG
Our route down

Oct 036.JPG
Geallaig Hill
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Brown Cow Hill from Braenaloin

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Have just been reading this and your other two recent reports - you've certainly been busy....how'd you ever find time to fit in work ? :lol: Looks like you've made the best of the recent good weather for a good set of walks - bothy looks as though it could be useful, pity it's boarded up - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm

That looks like a very nice wander and a fine day you had for it .I might try to get up there soon , if only because I like its name :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:279   Corbetts:133
Grahams:75   Donalds:67
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Interesting route that. Been thinking oh Geallaig hill and Mona gowan up there but may try broon coo and Geallaig after looking at your route. :thumbup:
Benjaminnevis
Munro compleatist

Munros:37   Corbetts:15
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Cheers. Was hoping to do Geallaig as well but didn't have the time, hence why we were cursing not bringing the bikes. Geallaig will be good to do in winter we think. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Benjaminnevis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Cheers. Was hoping to do Geallaig as well but didn't have the time, hence why we were cursing not bringing the bikes. Geallaig will be good to do in winter we think. :D

aye am looking at wee hills like Geallaig over the winter ma self.think a will be a winter donside and deeside marilyn bagger. :lol:
Benjaminnevis
Munro compleatist

Munros:37   Corbetts:15
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 am

Some lovely shots of my favourite rolling hills JC, this really looks like one for me :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Fantastic report - did this one from the castle car park past year
The thing that draws me to these hills is the amazing views into the heart of the Cairngorms - done a few around here and ever time on e I get near be top and the views open out it drops my jaw - fantastic
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Oops just read my last post - lots of typos - sorry - doing from mobile !!! Not used to all this reports usually planning a trip- not presently though :(
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland