walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby gman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 10/10/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

aonach eagach actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did this yesterday, weather was great plus I'd read a couple of reports here where it had been done with one car so no more excuses :) Left the walking sticks & camera bag at home so they wouldn't get in the way, so knees a wee bit sore and half the photos got overexposed/deleted when I chucked the camera into the pack.

Parked in the layby just before the loch, nice path on the other side of the road joins the old road - about 45 mins to the car park at the start. Van and car parked here now so I knew others would be on the hill if disaster struck :) Great path up, no bog and height gained quickly.

Passed a large group on the way up, one of them had done it 30 years ago, then further on I caught up with 3 retired guys - Phil, John and Peter - who had all done a bit of rock climbing and didn't mind me tagging along. John had done the ridge before, in summer 1976 and winter 1978.

Ridge:

Mamores:

Chancellor:

More ridge:

Once you start the scrambly bits it really isn't that difficult. A lot of it looks vertical from the photos, but it's angled so you can descend facing out and see where to put your feet using your bum as a 5th point of contact (Phil's tip). And the bits that look like 15 metres of scrambling are actually a couple of metres, path, another couple of metres, path etc. There are plenty of hand holds and you get a choice of routes over each scramble, so you can find a way that suits you. John (blue) & Pete (red):

Yet more ridge:

Scrambling:

Phil enjoys another of my entertaining stories:

Glencoe hills:

These 2 guys passed us soon after:

Towards the end there's a dirt bypass path heading down to the right, which we took. I'd read that you should go over the top of a pinnacle instead as the path going down was a bit tricky. The other 2 guys went the same way as us and, when we met them later, agreed that this was probably the trickiest part - so, if in doubt, go over the top.

After the 2nd Munro, John decided to head down with me, I'd give him a lift to their car and he'd come back and meet Phil & Pete in the pub. I wasn't intending to descend from here, but he was confident it would be ok (he's a bit of an Alpinist and had kept his hands in his pockets most of the way to work on his balance).

We started round the shoulder after the summit, but this began to look dodgy so we traversed round to descend straight down from the summit. We caught up with the other 2 guys here - they had taken 2 cars but had left both sets of keys in the car at the beginning so I gave one of them a lift back while the other made straight for the Clachaig. They'd gone straight down from the summit and said this was also dodgy at the start.

The descent from here is initially on steep scree and you can find yourself surfing down it. Steep grass next with bracken patches at the bottom. Probably easier to head round to the Pap but this saves quite a bit of time and is OKish in the dry:

A great day in fine conditions. I've done a few hills with bits of scrambling on them and there wasn't anything more difficult here, just more of it :D
Last edited by gman on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Some lovely shots there gman , it was handy meeting those folk , much nicer to do this walk with a bit of company for moral support 8)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:279   Corbetts:133
Grahams:75   Donalds:67
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Gavin99 wrote:Some lovely shots there gman , it was handy meeting those folk , much nicer to do this walk with a bit of company for moral support 8)

Definitely easier when the people ahead try different routes & you follow the easiest one :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm

This looks familiar. :wink: .Aonach Eagach WRs seem to be like buses, ie none for a while then loads :lol: But seriously, great report and photos and I'd agree with Gavin on having company - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby PeteR » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Superbly captured images :D :D

Brings back memories and had the buttock clenching looking at some of your photos as the memories came back :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 pm

That is superb gman! :clap: Some very detailed pictures there to get an idea of what I’m likely to encounter (at some point in the distant future :lol: ). Thank you!
Paula Hubens

Postby Wupert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:That is superb gman! :clap: Some very detailed pictures there to get an idea of what I’m likely to encounter (at some point in the distant future :lol: ). Thank you!

Lovely piccys brining back so many fond memories

I did the route in Jan 1972 a hard cold snowy icy memorable day.
Wupert
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland