walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Corbetts and a Broken Arm (An Dun, A' Chaoirnich Video )

Two Corbetts and a Broken Arm (An Dun, A' Chaoirnich Video )

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Route description: Gaick Corbetts: An Dun and Meall Creag an Loch

Corbetts included on this walk: An Dun, Maol Creag an Loch (A' Chaoirnich)

Date walked: 11/10/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 959m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An Dun and A’ Chaoirnich October 2012-10-11

I have had these hills on my radar for some time now and today seemed the perfect time to tackle them. First day of my holidays and the weather was to be perfect.

I decided to get up early and try and catch the sunrise as it promised to be a good one with a little cloud but mainly clear skies. I arrived at the turn off to Trinafour at around 07.00am and promptly got ready for the bike and hike ahead. Crossing the A9 would be the most dangerous part of the day (or so I thought at the time) so I took care and time and pushed the bike across watching the yellow and pinks arrive in the sky behind Ben Vrackie. It was stunning.
DSC03875.JPG
sunrise over Ben Vrackie

After a short cycle I was out of the forest and heading up beside the River Edendon. The colours in the sky were fantastic – today was going to be one of those days in the hills that live long in the memory!!!

Heading along the track the sky was lighting up with colours changing all the time – I couldn’t keep my eyes off it!! That was where it all went a bit wrong – gazing skywards and THWACK, THUD , SMASH – my wheel had caught a raised piece of turf in the middle of the track on a down hill section!!! It all seemed to go in slow mo!! I could see I was going to fall – no doubt about it - but could I land some where soft – answer – no. My arm went down and my elbow broke the fall as I rolled onto my back – glad I was wearing my helmet. I lay motionless.

I was aware my elbow had taken a crack – so I lay and waited for some sort of shooting – terrible pain- nothing. 30 seconds passed and I eventually hauled myself up. A bit shaken, I thought it was not too bad so decided to push on.

In any event I was not too far from the lodge where I would leave my bike and head up the hill on foot (not needing my elbow for that!!). There was some discomfort on the final leg on the bike. However I thought once I was up and away on the hill then the arm would get better in time for the cycle home!!!!
DSC03883.JPG
the hills

Anyway heading up A’Chaoirnich first and the noise of the stag rutting was echoing all around. I have never seen so many deer (glad I used hill phone night before!!). I can understand why stalking take place in October – the amount of deer I “stumbled upon” was unbelievable – they definitely seem more interested in each other than us at this time of year!!!

Anyway back to walking – the pull up to the summit plateaux was not too bad and I headed to both summits – the larger cairn being at the second highest point!!! Views were fantastic looking down toward Schiehallion and Farragon hill and west toward Glen Lyon. Elbow was a little sore so I decided to take some Ibuprofen.
DSC03914.JPG
first summit

I was supporting my sore arm utilising the waist belt of my rucksack which had been fine. However you don’t realise how much you rely on both hands and arms for balance. I found this out whilst descending off A’ Chaoirnich. It was very steep and I would recommend heading off towards the north east of the hill towards Gaick as further north and west it was even steeper!!!
DSC03918.JPG
Gaick Forest

The hike up An Dun was relentless and steep and my elbow was now protesting a lot. Had I actually done some serious damage!! I was starting to question myself now – time for more Ibuprofen.

The skies were clear and visibility superb and this certainly helped keep my mind off my sore arm. Back to bike now.

I reached the bike around 12.45 and as soon as I tried to get on the bike I realised my arm was not good. The pain shot straight through my lower arm and elbow as soon as I put any weight on it – i.e. holding the handle bars and getting on the bike!!

To cut a long story short – a very painful cycle back to the car – then a drive (in extreme pain to hospital). Spent 4 hrs in A and E eventually getting X rayed. Broken Radial head apparently. Spent next morning in fractures clinic getting a plan sorted – doesn’t look like I’ll be doing much exercise for a few weeks!!

However – even given the pain – the walk and weather was superb – and it’ll definitely be a day which will last long in the memory for both good and bad reasons!!!!!!!
DSC03925.JPG
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Two Corbetts and a Broken Arm (Video report too)

Postby Fudgie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Jeezo :shock:

It just shows how easily things can go wrong but it's good to see you carried on with the walk :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby lochlaggan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Hope things get better and your back on your bike soon. Really enjoyed your video as was in the area a wee while ago and love the track in. Perhaps your not so much a fan.

Cheers

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   Corbetts:194
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Meatball » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Aw man, that sucks!
Good report though but I wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Meatball

Munros:43   Corbetts:39
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Fudgie wrote:Jeezo :shock:

It just shows how easily things can go wrong but it's good to see you carried on with the walk :wink:

indeed - however - had I knowit was broke when it happened I may have turned back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It just got sorer and sorer !! good day though.......
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Meatball wrote:Aw man, that sucks!
Good report though but I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Thanks - glad it raining today - not sure my sanity would hold if the weather styed fab and being on holiday not being able to get out!!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:01 pm

lochlaggan wrote:Hope things get better and your back on your bike soon. Really enjoyed your video as was in the area a wee while ago and love the track in. Perhaps your not so much a fan.

Cheers

Grant

haha - not my favourite track - however my own blomin fault for not paying attention

that sunrise was something else though (not sure it was worth a broken arm though!!) :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 pm

I can feel your pain, I broke exactly the same bone years ago. Difference being I'd fallen down the stairs in the horseshoe bar drunk, went home fell asleep..........then spent the whole of the next day in Glasgow Royal Infirmary.........it's bloody agony so fair play to you riding the bike...........I'd've phoned the chopper :lol: 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Lenore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 am

Gorgeous pictures!! That first one... wow. Hope the arm gets better soon so you can head out again. 'luckily' it's the end of walking season and not the start!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 am

Love the photos Wilkie. That fall was just bad luck mate. Hope it heals in the not too distant future :D
monty

Postby Benjaminnevis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:12 am

Great video ah the stag :D .pity aboot the arm though.
Benjaminnevis
Munro compleatist

Munros:37   Corbetts:15
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 am

Lenore wrote:Gorgeous pictures!! That first one... wow. Hope the arm gets better soon so you can head out again. 'luckily' it's the end of walking season and not the start!

Thanks Lenore - The sunrise was "awesome" :D fortunate its end of walking season too - however the winter season will be just round the corner!! Hope my arm is better for that :( :( :( :(
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 am

monty wrote:Love the photos Wilkie. That fall was just bad luck mate. Hope it heals in the not too distant future :D

Thanks Monty - not sure about bad luck - perhaps bad concentration :lol: :lol: :lol: lesson learnt though - pay attention to the track :roll: :roll:
wilkiemurray

Re: Two Corbetts and a Broken Arm (Video report)

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Beautiful photos, especially the sunrise. I'm usually still asleep when the sun wakes up :lol: :lol:
I hope the arm heals quickly. My husband had a similar injury once, he was knocked off his bike by a speeding car. Ended up in plaster for 6 weeks and with a steel screw in his bone for the rest of his life. Funny, two weeks after the accident he returned to hillwalking (with his arm in a sling). He said other people looked at him awkwardly when he marched up the path. "Maniac!" they must have thought :wink:
I heard that if you broke a bone, you should eat a lot of jelly to speed the recovery :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:48   

Re: Two Corbetts and a Broken Arm (Video report)

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:02 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Beautiful photos, especially the sunrise. I'm usually still asleep when the sun wakes up :lol: :lol:
I hope the arm heals quickly. My husband had a similar injury once, he was knocked off his bike by a speeding car. Ended up in plaster for 6 weeks and with a steel screw in his bone for the rest of his life. Funny, two weeks after the accident he returned to hillwalking (with his arm in a sling). He said other people looked at him awkwardly when he marched up the path. "Maniac!" they must have thought :wink:
I heard that if you broke a bone, you should eat a lot of jelly to speed the recovery :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right - I am off to buy some Jelly :clap: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland