walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five murky Orchys

Five murky Orchys

by Paula Hubens » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 11/06/2012

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 2580m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Five murky Orchys

Postby laconic surf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 am

Oh well done for doing all 5 8)
I did the circuit from Achallader farm to Chreachain and Achaladair last week. I arrived as the sun came up and the low level walk at dawn was stunning with all the autumn colours. Unfortunately by the time I reached the ridge all the tops were in thick clag and I saw sweet fa all day, just wandered around up there being "directionally challenged" :lol: :lol: the ridge was easy to follow but after leaving the summit of Creachain a compass bearing sent me towards what my sense of direction thought were the cliffs - I kept throwing rocks into the clag in front of me to make sure I wasn't about to fall off! Rather unnerving at times :shock:
It's a long walk out whichever way you go. Great report :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks laconic surf! :D
Will we get to see some pictures of your walk? The autumn this year is exceptionally beautiful here in the South. And from what I have seen on WH, autumn must be majestic in Scotland now. Enjoy! :D
I know what you mean about those Creachain cliffs. It is unnerving, knowing that they are there somewhere in the mist and that you might be heading towards them.
Paula Hubens

Postby skuk007 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Great report Paula, and well done for bagging these in one go. :clap:

I was planning to do these in one day also but backed out and did Dorain and Dothaidh on there own - looked too big a day for my knees to handle :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks skuk007! :D
It is a big round and my knees were definitely put through their paces.
Haven’t seen any TR’s from you for a long while. When will you be back in the hills again?
Paula Hubens

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Unfortunately living so far south my bank manager only allows me to travel back north once a year :( (twice if I'm lucky).

That's why I tend to go for visits during the summer months, in the hope that I will get half decent weather and get some views. Gives me plenty of time to plan some routes but can be frustrating seeing all you guys having so much fun all year round.

Hoping to do a two week break next year to bag some of the northern most Munros - we'll see, it's still a long way off.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I feel your pain: it's a once per year trip for me too. However, as you say the planning becomes a big part of the fun. :D
Paula Hubens

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland