walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Family fun in Glen Lochay

Family fun in Glen Lochay

Postby basscadet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 13/10/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 20.8 km

Ascent: 1293m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glen_locha.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So this weekend, I had arranged another trip away with my Dad in the van. :) We arranged to meet in Killin, so I was off straight after work on Friday. We had a bit of trouble finding each other but hooked up about 7.30. We managed to get a fine chipper and some banter at the chip van afore heading to the pub to choose hills and routes. We settled on Glen Lochay and headed up there at 11, to a car park already habited by another van :D

The morning came, and was cold, damp and misty.. We set off about 9.30, I had realised by that point that the important things I had forgotten this trip, were my camera and GPS.. :lol:
At the car park there is a sign that says there is no parking further up the road, but there is a few spaces as it turns out. never mind it wasnt far :crazy: We took a left, went over the bridge, over a style, then zigzagged our way through the trees on a track to the top of the big hydro pipe. That was the end of the paths and we set off up the hillside, which was boggy and really lumpy but fairly easy going. We were soon up in the clag, the wind was making the drizzle start to penetrate our clothing :?

We stopped for elevenses at 11, under an overhanging rock that dripped on us a lot.. so we were soon cold and eager to get going again.

We hit the first top, then the next one that was a bit rocky, then the next which on the map looked like it should of been the summit of Sgiath Chuil, but there was no cairn! Hmmm we could only see 50 yards, so there was a bit of humming and haaing, before we decided to carry on, and finally found the summit :D
We retraced our steps a short distance and headed down the hillside.. I had thought there must surely of been a path, but we saw no sign of anything going in the right direction. It was a steep descent, hard on my Dads dodgy knee, and when we finally got back down below the clag, the location of the bealach was far from obvious :lol: We stopped in the glen for lunch.. The rain was off, and we had no less than 4 stags squaring up to each other for entertainment. The roaring was constant, what drama :D
Soon it was time to head up the way again, we had discovered we were a bit south of the actual bealach, so we just chose a route up to a shoulder where we re-entered the clag and kind of skirted round onto the ridge. It wasn't far from there up to meall Glas summit, but the weather had taken a turn for the worse and we were pelted with large high velocity drops which made us circle the cairn and head back the way we came very quickly indeed :lol:
We retraced our steps, but carried on the ridge path up to beinn Cheathaich, which has a fine trig, and onward down the ridge. From the other side of the glen we had seen a track going down to the glen from the ridge, but it felt an awful lot further than it looked down to it. My dads knee was obviously giving him a lot of pain down the steep track, so we stopped for a rest and all of a sudden, the rain stopped and sunny patches appeared :)

Everything suddenly looked brighter, and we descended down past Lubchurran and down to the ford. I took the speed approach across, Dad tried to pick his way. We were both squelching in our boots regardless :lol: From there it was just a couple of miles back along the road to the van, warmth and tea :)
Oh it was right driechit day.. even if I had remembered my camera, I dont think there would of been a single picture worth posting :lol: It was such a laugh as always with my dad though, wouldnt of missed it for anything :D
Last edited by basscadet on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Family fun in Glen Lochay

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Ach well, if you have to forget your camera, you chose a good day for it :lol:
Sounds like you still had fun! 8) I remember that descent from Sgiath Chuil, steep is the word!!
Paula Hubens

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 am

Great effort B on a pretty grotty day by the sound of it :roll: but still a good wander with your dad that you can both store away in the memory banks, things like that are what make this lark worthwhile :wink: As you say a camera wouldn't have been a lot of use to you on this one :shock: Great read all the same :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

Always good to get out with your Dad whatever the weather.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland