walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

TISO Walk Report of the Month - November

TISO Walk Report of the Month - November

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:25 am

Date walked: 01/12/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

TISO walk report of the Month

Yet again we've topped a hundred walk reports over the month - and choosing a winner doesn't get any easier!

Long time front-runner this month was Kinley's superb photographic essay of a high camp in the Cairngorms. For most of the month it seemed likely that he would become the first person to win the competition twice! There were excellent reports from Foggieclimber, Darran, monumentgardener, gaffr, kevsbald, mountaincoward, alllansmitchell, HighlandSC, bootsandpaddles, David Fergusson, headless spectre, weemistermac, CurlyWurly, James_McG, MacAoidh and many others. Yettie put in a fine report on Ben Hope, illustrated with his own paintings. There were also lots of fine photos from outside Scotland, including from the prolific susanmyatt, 37lumleyst, Radman, MG1976, Wacky B, Andrew P, canisp and sipatterson3899.

But at the end of the month there were a couple of days of great photographic weather which changed everything. Strider, Foggieclimber, doogz, kinley, Les Stuart and freewheelin all put in great reports with super shots of the early winter snows.
(And already there is at least one great report in for December :D )

However, something very different has been chosen as this months winner. I doubt we'll see many reports from St Kilda - with its islands having the UK's hardest-to-reach summits. So petejkenny's report from Boreray was fascinating and a really great read. So petejkenny wins Walk Report of the Month - and the £40 of TISO vouchers.

Continued thanks to Tiso for sponsoring the competition - and its not too late to head down there for some stocking fillers!

Happy walking
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Walk Report of the Month - November

Postby kevsbald » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:44 am

Well done Pete. Those photos really are something else. There is something quite magical about St Kilda, no doubt about it. Probably the lack of people.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby John Burgess » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Congratulations Pete. A fascinating trip and report.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby petejkenny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi - thanks a lot. I must say I thought the Cairngorms high camp would get it. I'm really pleased to get "walk report of the month" on only my second walk report! I guess its all downhill from here...

I was actually thinking of posting another couple of St K walks from that trip - and also possibly Mingulay - also very beautiful.

Regards Pete
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

Postby Stretch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Congrats Pete, spectacular account of an adventure I'll probably never be able to undertake!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby John Burgess » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 pm

petejkenny wrote:I was actually thinking of posting another couple of St K walks from that trip - and also possibly Mingulay - also very beautiful.

Regards Pete

Mingulay - yes please! I kayaked there with a couple of friends many years ago and spent two nights camped on the Island. Some photos would bring back some great memories :)
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FMCKIE » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 am

Good to see this and like I said at the time you posted one of the most interesting TR I have seen petejkenny. Hope to see more of this unique stuff in the future.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alan S » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Congratulations, great report 8)
I would love to visit this island but will probably never get the chance

Thanks for sharing
cheers.gif
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby maddjock » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:57 pm

well deserved... a fascinating account and great read... :thumbup:
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland