walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mell Circuit, 29th Nov 09

The Mell Circuit, 29th Nov 09

Postby MacCookie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Route description: The Mell circuit, Glen Finglas

Date walked: 29/11/2009

Distance: 27 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this route at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's a good, long distance low level walk, but with some great views - Ben More and Stob Binnein to the north peaked out a few times and looked well loaded with snow, while Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin were visible away to the east with a nice covering of the white stuff.

The route is pretty hard on your feet though - most of the track is actually a landrover track rather than a footpath. A bit muddy in places (well, I say mud, it was actually cow pats!) as well, but didn't need gaiters.

I'm not convinced that the 560m of total ascent quoted is correct though - my altimeter reckoned it was nearer 950m! And it certainly felt like it! (The altimeter was calibrated at the start, was reading 620m at the summit compared to an actual hight of 600m and was about 15m under my starting hight by the time we got back to the carpark, so the 950m probably isn't far wrong.) Lots of very small ups and downs, so perhaps not enough for the GPS to register?

Ewan

PS - forgot my SLR, so no photos :(
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland