walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just a wee Tarmachan..

Just a wee Tarmachan..

Postby basscadet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 am

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 14/10/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 752m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

tarmachan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So after a thorough soaking in Glen Lochay on Saturday, the outlook for Sunday looked a lot better. On a previous weekend, we had contemplated Tarmachan, but didnt have the time.. The weekend before I had intended to do it, but was too lazy, so this Sunday finally looked like the right time :lol:

We broke camp in Glen Lochay at 9, and drove up to the Ben Lawers car park. There was plenty of clag about, and a chilly enough breeze to have me reaching for my winter jacket. As we set off up the overly good tourist trail, some sunbeams were beginning to filter through across Loch Tay. :thumbup:
The path goes up at such a gentle incline, we hardly knew we were ascending, and by the time we hit the ridge, the clag had cleared off the tops, and we were getting hot in the sunshine :D

We hit the first top, and stopped for a snack. It was a chilly wind, so not long afore we were making our way down to the Coll, and up to Meall nan Tarmachan. There was a little bit of steepness, but not much, and we were soon in bagging territory. The views were limited, as we seemed to of picked the only clag free hills for miles around. :clap:

The next top, meall Garbh, looked pretty fine and pointy, but my dad was in a lot of pain in the descent to the bealach with the bonny lochans.

We stopped for lunch there, and he said he didn't want to do the full ridge, which was fine by me - its not like I would never get the chance to go up again, so after a quick nip up to the top of Meall Garbh, retraced our steps to the bealach, and took a side path down a shoulder, which was boggy and slippy. The path went down a good distance, but then petered out..

We contoured round above the peat hags, heading for a style over the deer fence that we could see over the other side of the corrie. A bit boggy, but easy walking in the sunshine.
When we got to the style though, we discovered that you had to cross an electric fence to get to it :? I dont know who designed the feature, but they are obviously a sandwich short :lol: The style, was just a few metres from the main path, which we took slowly, my Dad nursing his war wounds :roll:
Made it back to the car, just in time to avoid a heavy downpour, and as usual, made all the other returning walkers jealous by sitting in the shelter of the back of the van with the stove on, making tea and soup :)

Just a short Sunday stroll this. I was surprised at how easy it was, as I've nae been that well recently, so its good to feel like the recovery process has started :) I spose starting halfway up the hill has its advantages too :lol:
I am hopeful, that my Dad will upload his photos to my photobucket account, so I'll post in some photos as soon as he does ;) - He did, so I did :lol:
Last edited by basscadet on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Just a wee Tarmachan..

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm

basscadet wrote: The weekend before I had intended to do it, but was too lazy

tut tut ;)

Sounds like you had a good weekend and more ticks in that Munro box :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:53
Grahams:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Pity about the weather for your weekend BC,Sunday was by far the better day ,sounds like you had a tough one on Saturday.Another few hills bagged though so well done to you and dad :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:94
Grahams:38   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am

Its a grand wee hill that one ... your approachin that 200 a Chaileag :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Grahams:31   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:21   
Islands:28

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 am

Nice report bc - the ridge is the best in the south east highlands and I know you'll return.

Hope dad's knees are better (tell him at our age I know the feeling) and

basscadet wrote:as I've nae been that well recently

- trust the recovery continues.
Scotjamie
Mountaineer

Munros:148   

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks ahbody for your kind words.. certainly a bonny day :D

As for the hills, I broke the century for this year this past weekend - although I think maybe there were a couple afore I started posting on here in February.. I also crossed the 1000 km's walked barrier too apparently.. :o
Might crack the 200 by the end of the year.. which feels a bit odd really :?

I hope I'll be back to fighting fit soon, it just feels like a long wait when you have the heaviest feeling legs and your hearts going like the clappers.all the time. :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland