walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Timing is Everything - An Arran Adventure!!!

Timing is Everything - An Arran Adventure!!!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Route description: Caisteal Abhail, via North Glen Sannox

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr

Date walked: 15/10/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 2000m

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Timing can lead us a merry dance when weaving its powers and the desired outcome is not always to our liking, or is it?.

When training for, and participating in, the Glasgow Half Marathon i sustained some tissue damage in my Achilles Tendon. To my shock this left me unable to hillwalk, run, cycle and do circuit classes for over 6 weeks. This was my 1st serious injury, and me so young at 41 :roll:

In September i started my Mental health Nursing Degree so having all this vacant time meant i could concentrate on that, good timing? Other interesting distractions soon crossed my path and on the whole things felt positive...well apart from a little weight gain from all the chocolate i was devouring!

My physio was none other than Mountain Thyme - Munro Compleatist and now deranged Corbett bagger :shock:

Sunday night she came to see me and gave me the good news...yep, i should start walking again :D

Being off work for a week i had been checking out the weather and Arran was to be bathed in sunshine on the Monday. Having both done Goatfell previously we quickly hatched a plan to "bag" the 3 remaining Corbetts, we would catch the 7am ferry in the morning :)

Our route would start from North Sannox Bridge, which a bus would take us to, and finish back in Brodick.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Alarm went off at 5am and i was feeling great having 2 hours sleep, the excitement was off the scale...oh how i had missed these cold dark early starts :?

Caught the 7am ferry...

Bus took us to North Sannox bridge and at 8.30am both of us felt like greyhounds about to chase a cuddly toy that resembled a hare...maybe that was just me :D !

There is a car park at the bridge and it is here that we got chatting with 2 fellows from Ardrossan whom gave us some local knowledge and areas of risk, and how to avoid them. We would cross paths many times till departing ways at the summit of the 1st Corbett. They took a Westerly path whilst MT and I decided on a sharper plan of attack and headed SSW for 3k which would lead us to the witches step.

After an initial boggy start to reach the ridge conditions underfoot became dry. The ridge itself looked fantastic, like a mini Forcan, and i was itching to get at it.

You can climb to the first pinnacle but you will need ropes to climb down into the gully. Instead take the path right which curves around at about 650M. There is 2 very tricky moves to navigate so if your not competent i would give them a wide berth.

The ledge/small walkway at top of the gully is narrow and could be scary if in high winds. Standing here you're presented with masses of slabs to gain the top ridge.

The slabs

Looking back at the downclimb from the 1st pinnacle

The climb up the slabs is easier than at first glance and presents no difficulties, unless your MT and had a big breakfast!!

Once passed the witches step you follow the ridge West for 1k. The views open up and you start to feel a sense of awe, the lunar type landscapes, jagged rock, huge tors and sea views...not forgetting some outdoor catalogue shots 8)

After 3 and a half hours or so we reached the plateau of Corbett number 1 - Caisteal Abhail, joined by the 2 fellows from Ardrossan. They left here sharply but we stopped for food and milked the views, and what stunning views...

Our bellies again full we took off South along the ridge to walk the 2k to Cir Mhor - Corbett 2.

Looking back to Caisteal

And ahead to the intimidating pointy summit of CM.

The pull to the summit isn't as tough as it looks and we made quick progress, well i was...

Cir Mhor takes centre stage and the views invoke a sense of satisfying adrenalin rushing happiness, well if you get a view :wink:

There's not much room at the summit but this just adds to the excitement and thrill :D

After another photo shoot we sped off 3k SSW targetting Corbett 3 - Beinn Tarsuinn

To reach BT you can follow the ridge and do A Chir but ropes are required so we took the bypass right which would lead us to bealach an fhir bhoga. I enjoyed the detour as the views West of the island opened up and gave a different perspective which was barren in nature, reminded me of a an Assynt Cairngorm fusion, giving that feeling of isolation in a lost land.

At the bealach you continue the pull to the summit...

More posing on route...she made me do it!!!

And finally, summit 3 - Beinn Tarsuinn

Great views from here...

We checked the time to see if it was possible to catch the 4.40pm ferry but this was unrealistic as we had 10k still to go over varying terrain and only 90mins to do so. I could have probably made it but MT is getting on a tad so we took it easy :wink:

The plan would be to have some dinner and a pint before catching the 7.20pm ferry.

So onward we went and followed the ridge to take in another top - Beinn Nues.

From Beinn Nues its all downhll East. Firstly crossing the Garbh Allt

This takes you onto a very wet, muddy and boggy 1k stretch before crossing a stile to a better path which leads into Glen Rosa. From here its a very pleasant walk indeed with lush greenery and autumnal colours.

We reached Brodick around 6pm, 9.5hrs after we started, and ventured into a little Bistro - http://www.eileanmorarran.com/ - for pizza, chips and draught Peroni. MT had a haggis pizza whilst i had the veggie option of goats cheese, sunblushed tomato, basil and pine nuts...sooper tasty and just what you need after burning thousands of calories. Nice place this and the staff made sure we got our food quickly as they knew we had a ferry to catch - great timing again 8)

Arran is beautiful and this walk was up there with the many I've done, these Corbetts have everything and i would recommend you venture further than Goatfell (which is a fantastic mountain too).

My tendon held up well and it appears my fitness is still reasonable, looking forward to many more adventures on the hills after my gentle reintroduction :)

Big thanks to Theresa (MT) for advice on my injury and eventually giving me the go ahead to walk again, the timing was perfect...as it appears to be in other aspects of my little journey :D
Last edited by dooterbang on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Timing is Everything - An Arran Adventure!!!

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 pm

A good way to test your tendon out, and to have your Physio at hand as well :lol: Some class images as well, perfect day 8) Glad to see you back your stride again, just in time for the ice and snow 8) :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Welcome back db. Great pics and report, as good as anything you've done before.

And well done mt for bringing achilles back to life, and coping with his adrenalin!!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Looks like a great walk! Good to see that you are out there again! :D
Paula Hubens

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Pictures are fantastic - looks like an amazing walk

Can't wait to get to Arran some day:)
wilkiemurray

Postby Alan S » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Well done guys, really stunning pics on both reports by you and MT 8)
Never been to Arran, It looks pretty special :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Lenore » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh what a stunner! Glad you had such a perfect day for your return to the hills.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Wow, what a day and pictures to match, you are back with a bang Dooter!
Glad you took it easy on your comeback, and wasn't so foolish as to attempt a Munro! :lol: :wink:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Ah tha thu air ais .. your back a bhalaich , good report and at 41 you ll find its all doon hill noo :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:39 pm

soulminer wrote:Glad to see you back your stride again, just in time for the ice and snow 8) :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
It was touch and go but i made it, cheers :D

Scotjamie wrote:Welcome back db. Great pics and report, as good as anything you've done before.
Cheers matey - great to be out again.

Paula Hubens wrote:Looks like a great walk! Good to see that you are out there again! :D
Thanks Paula. Like your epic reports.

wilkiemurray wrote:Pictures are fantastic - looks like an amazing walk
Can't wait to get to Arran some day:)
And you can take your rope :)

Alan S wrote:Never been to Arran, It looks pretty special :D
Its lovely. The cycle around it is fab too.

Lenore wrote:Oh what a stunner! .
Jeez thanks Lenore...the mountains where no too bad either :lol:

mountainstar wrote:Wow, what a day and pictures to match, you are back with a bang Dooter!
Glad you took it easy on your comeback, and wasn't so foolish as to attempt a Munro! :lol: :wink:
I'm sure you heard the explosion down in Wales Alan! Strictly come corbetts for me :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Ah tha thu air ais .. your back a bhalaich , good report and at 41 you ll find its all doon hill noo :lol:
I better get a move on and finish these buggers :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby nathan79 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Wowzer! What a way to make a return to the hills!

I really must get myself to Arran next year, i just hope I find it in these sort of conditions.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 am

Absolutely stunning! My folks used to live opposite Arran (at Seamill) so I was always looking at it but in those days didn't appreciate what there was to offer there. Have to get back one day. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby gordon l » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 am

Geat report and good to see you back in action :wink: As you say, timing is everything and that's you back in plenty of time for some winter epics. nice one dude :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 am

A wee easy one to get you back into it then? :D

An excellent day out which has me looking for the next ferry to Arran :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 am

dogplodder wrote:Absolutely stunning! My folks used to live opposite Arran (at Seamill) so I was always looking at it but in those days didn't appreciate what there was to offer there. Have to get back one day. :D
It took me some time to appreciate the outdoors too, i think where both making up for it now though eh :)

gordon l wrote:Geat report and good to see you back in action :wink: As you say, timing is everything and that's you back in plenty of time for some winter epics. nice one dude :D
Would be gutted to miss out on winter epics, love the snow. Being laid up meant i missed all them midges this year, damn :lol:

Fudgie wrote:An excellent day out which has me looking for the next ferry to Arran :wink:
Do wait for a clear day though...well you can see why 8)

nathan79 wrote:I really must get myself to Arran next year, i just hope I find it in these sort of conditions.
Aye, and take your tent :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland